AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   1994 Polo 1.3L Heavy steering (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=177616)

al July 25th 07 12:41 PM

Pedro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there anything I can do to make the steering any lighter? Also on full
> lock and the car is moving there is a strange hum coming through the
> steering wheel.
>
> Thanks

Increasing tyre pressure will make it easier to rotate the steering wheel,
although not correcting any mechanical defect regarding the strange hum.
al.

Pedro[_2_] July 25th 07 05:14 PM

1994 Polo 1.3L Heavy steering

The hum sounds like a power steering pump. But I believe that this model
does not have power steering!

Al[_6_] July 25th 07 07:42 PM

1994 Polo 1.3L Heavy steering

> The hum sounds like a power steering pump. But I believe that this
> model does not have power steering!

Didn't some Polo models have the electric power steering system? But I
suspect that came later than your model. Weird, sounds like a PS problem.
Puzzling.

Al.

Ears July 26th 07 08:08 PM

1994 Polo 1.3L Heavy steering

Check: Power Steering Fluid.... BELT (if this is slipping, steering
effort will increase)... I have a feeling that might be your problem.

Ears July 26th 07 08:16 PM

1994 Polo 1.3L Heavy steering

This is a U.S. group (the Polo is not available here unfortunately).
You're welcome to post here, of course, but you may have better luck
at

uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled

Happy motoring!