AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   squealing belt (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=375568)

ps56k[_3_] February 16th 13 11:53 PM

squealing belt

When we start up - we get a squealing noise - guessing a glazed belt ?
After a minute it's gone....
Suggestions/comments - vs just replacing the belt -

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

DougW[_2_] February 17th 13 01:06 AM

squealing belt

ps56k wrote:
> When we start up - we get a squealing noise - guessing a glazed belt ?
> After a minute it's gone....
> Suggestions/comments - vs just replacing the belt -

Can also be from a cold morning or humidity.
But if it lasts too long then the belt is basically getting old.
There really isn't a good way to deglaze a belt (unlike the old V belts)
When you replace the belt take a good look at every pully and idler
to make sure there isn't any junk left behind.

Depending on your model it could just take a breaker bar to hold
the tension roller off while you swap the belt.

Older vehicles are a bit more complicated to set belt tension.

--
DougW