AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1970 vw beetle Oil change... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=83857)

Scotty February 1st 07 04:57 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
scan and post...

Thxs ALOT

Scotty

Joey Tribiani February 1st 07 05:08 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
> does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
> scan and post...
>
> Thxs ALOT
>
> Scotty

i have a Bently and a Haynes.... you should to.

Speedy Jim February 1st 07 05:18 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:

> i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
> does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
> scan and post...
>
> Thxs ALOT
>
> Scotty

http://www.vw-resource.com/table.html
specifically:
http://www.vw-resource.com/oil-chng.html

Get a manual:
http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Adv...?sofindtype=13
Search for Item #
170075183143

or:
110082576442
170074860182

Berg February 1st 07 05:23 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:
> i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
> does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
> scan and post...
>
> Thxs ALOT
>
> Scotty

Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump,
remove drainplug and let drain.
If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer,
remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not
overtighten small acorn nuts.

Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..

J.

Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing
as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

Scotty February 1st 07 04:36 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Jan 31, 10:23 pm, Berg > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
> > i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
> > does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
> > scan and post...

> > Thxs ALOT

> > Scotty

> Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump,
> remove drainplug and let drain.
> If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer,
> remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not
> overtighten small acorn nuts.
>
> Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..
>
> J.
>
> Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing
> as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

ok, other then the strainer, Does it have an oil filter... And joey,
i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4
i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

Berg February 1st 07 06:38 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:
> On Jan 31, 10:23 pm, Berg > wrote:
>> Scotty wrote:
>>> i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
>>> does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
>>> scan and post...
>>> Thxs ALOT
>>> Scotty

>> Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump,
>> remove drainplug and let drain.
>> If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer,
>> remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not
>> overtighten small acorn nuts.
>>
>> Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..
>>
>> J.
>>
>> Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing
>> as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

> ok, other then the strainer, Does it have an oil filter...

No, an otherwise stock T1 engine from ca 1970 does not have another oil
filter, only the strainer which covers the oil pickup inlet in the sump.

J.

Scotty February 1st 07 09:24 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 11:38 am, Berg > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
> >> Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump,
> >> remove drainplug and let drain.
> >> If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer,
> >> remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not
> >> overtighten small acorn nuts.

> >> Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..

> >> J.

> >> Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing
> >> as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

> > ok, other then the strainer, Does it have an oil filter...

> No, an otherwise stock T1 engine from ca 1970 does not have another oil
> filter, only the strainer which covers the oil pickup inlet in the sump.
>
> J.
>
> And joey,
>
> > i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4
> > i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

Speedy Jim February 1st 07 09:41 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:

> ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

Yes.

Jakalope February 1st 07 10:09 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Here are some pictures that should help. They show how it all goes
together.

It's super easy.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/...bug/page58.jpg

http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=2.4965