AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   1998 Golf advise? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14033)

Matt B. September 19th 04 06:49 PM

1998 Golf advise?

"Steve Nicklas" > wrote in message
> My son is looking at a 98 Golf that has 60k miles on it. It is a 4 door
> automatic. This will be his first car. They are asking $6k for it. It is

> one owner CA car. We have always been a Honda family so this is new for

us.
> We're used to reliability with the Hondas and from what little I've read
> reliability isn't one of VW's strong point. Any advise would be greatly
> appreciated. Or is there a site or forum that has alot of FAQ's for VW
> Golf?
> Thanks
> Steve

Try http://forums.vwvortex.com and post in the Golf/Jetta III forum. This
NG is OK but you'll get a lot of answers there too.

spfra September 21st 04 09:31 AM

"Steve Nicklas" > wrote in message >...
> My son is looking at a 98 Golf that has 60k miles on it. It is a 4 door
> automatic. This will be his first car. They are asking $6k for it. It is a
> one owner CA car. We have always been a Honda family so this is new for us.
> We're used to reliability with the Hondas and from what little I've read
> reliability isn't one of VW's strong point. Any advise would be greatly
> appreciated. Or is there a site or forum that has alot of FAQ's for VW
> Golf?
> Thanks
> Steve

I have a 98 GTi 2L 5speed 98k miles. I've changed the oil and filters
regularly. The only problem I've had was the battery. After 6.5 yrs,
the water had evaporated. All I had to do was top it up, and now it's
starts just like new.
The only other maintenence was a tune up at 55k miles.
I can't speak for your golf, but I haven't had any problems with mine.
Spencer