AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Problem with your turbo charger? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=31445)

Rex April 30th 05 05:28 PM

« Paul » April 30th 05 08:11 PM

Nate Nagel May 1st 05 02:08 AM

> Rex wrote:
>
>>Geetings:
>>I'm working on a project for
>>Turbo Chargers and was wondering
>>what your #1 question is about
>>Turbo Chargers?
>>
>>Thanks for input.

> Easy: "How much do they cost?"

Hmm, mine would be "how much boost can I pump through my engine?" :)

nate

(current record seems to be about 24 PSI. WHOO! did anyone see that
issue a few months ago of Hemming's Muscle Machines with the feature on
Ted Harbit's twin-turbo bulletnose? Not bad for an old Studbuster!
Ted's the nicest guy you could meet, too...)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

May 1st 05 06:25 PM

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> « Paul » wrote:
>
> > Rex wrote:
> >
> >>Geetings:
> >>I'm working on a project for
> >>Turbo Chargers and was wondering
> >>what your #1 question is about
> >>Turbo Chargers?
> >>
> >>Thanks for input.

> > Easy: "How much do they cost?"

> Hmm, mine would be "how much boost can I pump through my engine?" :)
>
> nate
>
> (current record seems to be about 24 PSI. WHOO! did anyone see that
> issue a few months ago of Hemming's Muscle Machines with the feature on
> Ted Harbit's twin-turbo bulletnose? Not bad for an old Studbuster!
> Ted's the nicest guy you could meet, too...)

Nate, I saw a segment of Two Guys Garage (or whatever the actual name is)
not long ago where they were installing
a turbo kit on a pickup. I was amazed in the difference in technology now
versus a few years ago.

The turbo hangs under the car, replacing the muffler (which is no longer
needed). The air charge travels nearly the length of the truck and
apparently gets an intercooler effect. Oil lines run to the turbo to make
it live.

Looked simple and cheap.

I have been told that if you keep the boost below about 13-14 psi, most
engines will tolerate this.

May 1st 05 08:02 PM

Gosh, I said simple and cheap. Must have been on a binge...Simple yes, easy
too, but probably not cheap.
Nothing is.

« Paul » May 1st 05 08:07 PM

wrote:

> Gosh, I said simple and cheap. Must have been on a binge...Simple yes, easy
> too, but probably not cheap.
> Nothing is.

Remote turbo... I never even considered putting them in places other
than the engine compartment. Interesting idea.
Probably a real noticible lag time though.

Rex May 2nd 05 01:31 AM

The prices varry with too many variables to list but first find out
witch ones would be good for you vehical then decide on what would fit
your budget. but my personal opinion is if you want top quality you pay
top dollar, not always a bad thing if your not working with a budget.

Rex May 2nd 05 01:59 AM

Well it sounds like you have a car with a turbo and if so you shouldent
go boost crazy , personaly i cant tell you what it can take because i
dont know what you have but you should consider these factors.....if
you add more air to the engine you will have to add more fuel as well
if not you will be running too lean and a higher combustion temp will
be created and you could melt your pistons and/or valves not a good
thing but it all comes down to how much boost you want to create.

Rex May 2nd 05 02:02 AM

sounds good enough but it all comes down to your particular setup

Bruce Chang May 2nd 05 04:18 PM

"« Paul »" > wrote in message

>> Gosh, I said simple and cheap. Must have been on a binge...Simple yes,
>> easy
>> too, but probably not cheap.
>> Nothing is.

> Remote turbo... I never even considered putting them in places other
> than the engine compartment. Interesting idea.
> Probably a real noticible lag time though.

It's made by STSturbo.com. They claim that lag isn't any bigger problem
than a conventionally mounted turbo.