AutoBanter

-   General (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crackling/"rustling" noise in Chrysler 300M (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=439709)

Percival P. Cassidy[_2_] December 22nd 17 02:50 AM

Crackling/"rustling" noise in Chrysler 300M

While driving at freeway speeds today, I could hear an annoying noise in
our '02 Chrysler 300M -- like rustling leaves, perhaps, but loud and
constant.

Turning off the fan didn't seem to make any difference. When the car was
not moving, there was no such sound, even when I cranked the fan up to
its highest speed.

Are there ventilation ducts that could have an accumulation of dry
leaves and are independent of the HVAC controls? If so, any ideas for
dealing with the problem. And please don't tell me to pull the whole
dash apart: once was enough for a lifetime.

Or is there any other possible cause?

Perce

Paul in Houston TX[_2_] December 22nd 17 03:20 AM

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> While driving at freeway speeds today, I could hear an annoying noise in our '02 Chrysler
> 300M -- like rustling leaves, perhaps, but loud and constant.
>
> Turning off the fan didn't seem to make any difference. When the car was not moving, there
> was no such sound, even when I cranked the fan up to its highest speed.
>
> Are there ventilation ducts that could have an accumulation of dry leaves and are
> independent of the HVAC controls? If so, any ideas for dealing with the problem. And
> please don't tell me to pull the whole dash apart: once was enough for a lifetime.
>
> Or is there any other possible cause?
>
> Perce

Possible bad wheel bearings or loose lug nuts.

Percival P. Cassidy[_2_] December 23rd 17 12:20 AM

On 12/21/2017 09:20 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
>> While driving at freeway speeds today, I could hear an annoying noise
>> in our '02 Chrysler
>> 300M -- like rustling leaves, perhaps, but loud and constant.
>>
>> Turning off the fan didn't seem to make any difference. When the car
>> was not moving, there
>> was no such sound, even when I cranked the fan up to its highest speed.
>>
>> Are there ventilation ducts that could have an accumulation of dry
>> leaves and are
>> independent of the HVAC controls? If so, any ideas for dealing with
>> the problem. And
>> please don't tell me to pull the whole dash apart: once was enough for
>> a lifetime.
>>
>> Or is there any other possible cause?

> Possible bad wheel bearings or loose lug nuts.

It doesn't sound at all metallic. It really does sound like continuously
rustling leaves. The lug nuts aren't loose: I checked.

Perce

Paul in Houston TX[_2_] December 23rd 17 01:50 AM

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> On 12/21/2017 09:20 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
>>> While driving at freeway speeds today, I could hear an annoying noise in our '02 Chrysler
>>> 300M -- like rustling leaves, perhaps, but loud and constant.
>>>
>>> Turning off the fan didn't seem to make any difference. When the car was not moving, there
>>> was no such sound, even when I cranked the fan up to its highest speed.
>>>
>>> Are there ventilation ducts that could have an accumulation of dry leaves and are
>>> independent of the HVAC controls? If so, any ideas for dealing with the problem. And
>>> please don't tell me to pull the whole dash apart: once was enough for a lifetime.
>>>
>>> Or is there any other possible cause?

>> Possible bad wheel bearings or loose lug nuts.

> It doesn't sound at all metallic. It really does sound like continuously rustling leaves.
> The lug nuts aren't loose: I checked.
>
> Perce

Maybe an exhaust shield flapping in the wind?
Loose grill component?
It may be tough to find the source.

The Real Bev[_5_] December 23rd 17 02:02 AM

On 12/22/2017 04:50 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

>>> Possible bad wheel bearings or loose lug nuts.

>> It doesn't sound at all metallic. It really does sound like continuously rustling leaves.
>> The lug nuts aren't loose: I checked.

> Maybe an exhaust shield flapping in the wind?
> Loose grill component?
> It may be tough to find the source.

Mouse nest in the door or glove box? Don't ask me how I know this.

--
Cheers, Bev
An organizer for the "Million Agoraphobics March" expressed

Scott Dorsey December 23rd 17 09:25 PM

The Real Bev > wrote:
>Mouse nest in the door or glove box? Don't ask me how I know this.

It's a common problem. That's why I always keep a Burmese python under
the seat.
--scott

kevo December 29th 17 11:38 PM

Crackling/"rustling" noise in Chrysler 300M

Dear Percival,

I can tell that you’ve been around cars before. One thing I do before I do anything on the dash is google OEM and look at the pathways that exist between where the fan is located all the way throughout the exits in the dash. If you need to go deeper then you should be in a position to reverse your way all the way back. Sometimes it’s not possible but that’s my first inclination.