AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1970 vw beetle Oil change... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=83857)

Scotty February 1st 07 03:57 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
scan and post...

Thxs ALOT

Scotty

Joey Tribiani February 1st 07 04:08 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
> does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
> scan and post...
>
> Thxs ALOT
>
> Scotty

i have a Bently and a Haynes.... you should to.

Speedy Jim February 1st 07 04:18 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:

> i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
> does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
> scan and post...
>
> Thxs ALOT
>
> Scotty

http://www.vw-resource.com/table.html
specifically:
http://www.vw-resource.com/oil-chng.html

Get a manual:
http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Adv...?sofindtype=13
Search for Item #
170075183143

or:
110082576442
170074860182

Berg February 1st 07 04:23 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:
> i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
> does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
> scan and post...
>
> Thxs ALOT
>
> Scotty

Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump,
remove drainplug and let drain.
If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer,
remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not
overtighten small acorn nuts.

Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..

J.

Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing
as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

Scotty February 1st 07 03:36 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Jan 31, 10:23 pm, Berg > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
> > i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
> > does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
> > scan and post...

> > Thxs ALOT

> > Scotty

> Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump,
> remove drainplug and let drain.
> If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer,
> remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not
> overtighten small acorn nuts.
>
> Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..
>
> J.
>
> Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing
> as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

ok, other then the strainer, Does it have an oil filter... And joey,
i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4
i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

Berg February 1st 07 05:38 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:
> On Jan 31, 10:23 pm, Berg > wrote:
>> Scotty wrote:
>>> i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it...
>>> does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you
>>> scan and post...
>>> Thxs ALOT
>>> Scotty

>> Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump,
>> remove drainplug and let drain.
>> If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer,
>> remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not
>> overtighten small acorn nuts.
>>
>> Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..
>>
>> J.
>>
>> Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing
>> as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

> ok, other then the strainer, Does it have an oil filter...

No, an otherwise stock T1 engine from ca 1970 does not have another oil
filter, only the strainer which covers the oil pickup inlet in the sump.

J.

Scotty February 1st 07 08:24 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 11:38 am, Berg > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
> >> Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump,
> >> remove drainplug and let drain.
> >> If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer,
> >> remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not
> >> overtighten small acorn nuts.

> >> Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..

> >> J.

> >> Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing
> >> as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

> > ok, other then the strainer, Does it have an oil filter...

> No, an otherwise stock T1 engine from ca 1970 does not have another oil
> filter, only the strainer which covers the oil pickup inlet in the sump.
>
> J.
>
> And joey,
>
> > i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4
> > i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

Speedy Jim February 1st 07 08:41 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:

> ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

Yes.

Jakalope February 1st 07 09:09 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Here are some pictures that should help. They show how it all goes
together.

It's super easy.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/...bug/page58.jpg

http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=2.4965

Scotty February 1st 07 09:31 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty February 1st 07 09:34 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 2:41 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
>
> > ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

> Yes.

ok thats the ONLY filter right???

Speedy Jim February 1st 07 09:48 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2:41 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>
>>Scotty wrote:
>>

>>>ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

>> Yes.

> ok thats the ONLY filter right???

That's correct. The sreen catches the really big lumps <g>
and the fine particles settle out onto the sump plate.

The Porsche engineers who came up with the design in 1937 (Yes!)
felt it would be adequate to protect the bearings .
70 years later....It still works!

Jim

Joey Tribiani February 1st 07 09:52 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
oups.com...
... And joey,
> i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4
> i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

cool....sounds like a great plan...go in blind now, then fix all the screw
ups when the manual comes...it takes what. a day or two to have a manual
shipped?

Scotty February 1st 07 10:13 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 3:52 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "Scotty" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> ... And joey,
>
> > i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4
> > i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

> cool....sounds like a great plan...go in blind now, then fix all the screw
> ups when the manual comes...it takes what. a day or two to have a manual
> shipped?

iight, you don't understand, I KNOW people that work?worked on them,
my uncle can set the timing by ear... i got it running BY MY SELF 3
DAYS AFTER IT GOT IT

Scotty February 1st 07 10:14 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 3:48 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:

> >> Yes.

> > ok thats the ONLY filter right???

> That's correct. The sreen catches the really big lumps <g>
> and the fine particles settle out onto the sump plate.
>
> The Porsche engineers who came up with the design in 1937 (Yes!)
> felt it would be adequate to protect the bearings .
> 70 years later....It still works!
>
> Jim

thank ya Jim, so now i get to take back the oil filters autozone said
i'd need... lol

Speedy Jim February 1st 07 10:22 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Scotty wrote:

> iight, you don't understand, I KNOW people that work?worked on them,
> my uncle can set the timing by ear...

Oh, sh*t!! Now you've really done it, Scotty!
Man the barricades; here comes the flame war!

HaHaHaHa (Just kidding)

i got it running BY MY SELF 3
> DAYS AFTER IT GOT IT

Frankly, I applaud your plucky attitude and willingness.

(That's not a slam on Joey's position either. I just take
a slightly different viewpoint.)

Jim

Jakalope February 1st 07 10:59 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

> my uncle can set the timing by ear...

I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

Scotty February 1st 07 11:02 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 4:59 pm, "Jakalope" > wrote:
> > my uncle can set the timing by ear...

> I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

Joey Tribiani February 2nd 07 03:00 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
iight, you don't understand, I KNOW people that work?worked on them,
> my uncle can set the timing by ear... i got it running BY MY SELF 3
> DAYS AFTER IT GOT IT

"iight" i'll tell you, your timing is off....

Joey Tribiani February 2nd 07 03:01 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 1, 4:59 pm, "Jakalope" > wrote:
>> > my uncle can set the timing by ear...

>> I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

> he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
> said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
> WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

detonation is your friend...embrace it....

Joey Tribiani February 2nd 07 03:03 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 1, 4:59 pm, "Jakalope" > wrote:
>> > my uncle can set the timing by ear...

>> I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

> he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
> said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
> WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

been messing with these vw's for nearly 20 years...last one *I* set by ear
sounded great, ran great, and was way off....they run great and pretty damn
peppy at 50+degrees total advance...but not for long....setting by "ear" is
an emergency move to get you home to your strobe light...

Scotty February 2nd 07 03:18 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 9:03 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "Scotty" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

> > he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
> > said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
> > WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

> been messing with these vw's for nearly 20 years...last one *I* set by ear
> sounded great, ran great, and was way off....they run great and pretty damn
> peppy at 50+degrees total advance...but not for long....setting by "ear" is
> an emergency move to get you home to your strobe light...

ok ur twisting wut i say, i've not even messed with the timeing, noone
set it b4 i got it started... SO **** OFF JOEY

Joey Tribiani February 2nd 07 03:35 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> > he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
>> > said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
>> > WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

>> been messing with these vw's for nearly 20 years...last one *I* set by
>> ear
>> sounded great, ran great, and was way off....they run great and pretty
>> damn
>> peppy at 50+degrees total advance...but not for long....setting by "ear"
>> is
>> an emergency move to get you home to your strobe light...

> ok ur twisting wut i say, i've not even messed with the timeing, noone
> set it b4 i got it started... SO **** OFF JOEY

you really are a dumbass aren't you? read your reply...... you said
it....now you want to back pedal? you said "my uncle can set timing by
ear"....then ">> > he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther
mechanic have
>> > said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
>> > WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,"

now you **** off if you can't accurately communicate in a written
forum....i'd guess at this point, your reading comprehension is as honed as
your vw knowledge.... eat ****, "iight"

Jan February 2nd 07 04:14 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Scotty" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

>>>I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

>>he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
>>said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
>>WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,
>>

> been messing with these vw's for nearly 20 years...last one *I* set by ear
> sounded great, ran great, and was way off....they run great and pretty damn
> peppy at 50+degrees total advance...but not for long....setting by "ear" is
> an emergency move to get you home to your strobe light...

I agree with Joey here.. by ear is a "limp home mode" :)

Joey Tribiani February 2nd 07 04:17 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

then Jan, you may need to "**** off" too.....<G>

dragenwagen February 2nd 07 06:36 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

I agree also.... you can set it by ear.... it might appear to run good....
but when you get a strobe on it.... the timing is all screwed up...

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
dragenwagen
1966 Type I
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
"Old VW"s don't leak oil, they mark their territory."

Jakalope February 2nd 07 03:49 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

> > > he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have
> > > said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it
> > > WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

> ok ur twisting wut i say, i've not even messed with the timeing, noone
> set it b4 i got it started... SO **** OFF JOEY- Hide quoted text -

Scotty,

I'm glad your uncle is an "expert" because you're burning bridges
here. I hope you treat him better than you treat others that are
trying to help out.

Good Luck! and Grow Up!

John

Scotty February 3rd 07 04:18 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

lol you can go **** urself too john, i've gotten a HELL of alot done
with my first car to fix up then have of you mother ****ers...

Joey Tribiani February 3rd 07 04:42 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> lol you can go **** urself too john, i've gotten a HELL of alot done
> with my first car to fix up then have of you mother ****ers...

of course you have snotty....hell i didn't rebuild engines or do bodywork
till i was about 12.....you've got me beat, you can't possibly be more than
6 based on your posts here...(and for the record, she didn't tell me she was
your mother till after i ****ed her, and i had already handed her the
fivespot...)

Jakalope February 3rd 07 05:34 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

> lol you can go **** urself too john, i've gotten a HELL of alot done
> with my first car to fix up then have of you mother ****ers...- Hide quoted text -

LOL......Perhaps you should spend more time in school and less time
working on your car. They do have schools where you live, right?
No???

Scotty February 3rd 07 09:13 PM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

wuts the point of school??? so ur ****ing teachers can rape you???
thats THE MAIN THING ON THE NEWS DUMB****S

Joey Tribiani February 4th 07 01:17 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

"Scotty" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 2, 11:34 pm, "Jakalope" > wrote:
>> > lol you can go **** urself too john, i've gotten a HELL of alot done
>> > with my first car to fix up then have of you mother ****ers...- Hide
>> > quoted text -

>> LOL......Perhaps you should spend more time in school and less time
>> working on your car. They do have schools where you live, right?
>> No???

> wuts the point of school??? so ur ****ing teachers can rape you???
> thats THE MAIN THING ON THE NEWS DUMB****S

LOL...yeah...lots of hot teachers raping teenage boys...LOL...those boys
**** themselves because they are not smart enough to keep their pipe
shut....so they end up on the news and their friends laugh at them because
they lost their hot piece of ass....but even those dumbasses can change
their oil....<@@>

[email protected] February 4th 07 04:39 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 3, 7:17 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> "Scotty" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> >> LOL......Perhaps you should spend more time in school and less time
> >> working on your car. They do have schools where you live, right?
> >> No???

> > wuts the point of school??? so ur ****ing teachers can rape you???
> > thats THE MAIN THING ON THE NEWS DUMB****S

> LOL...yeah...lots of hot teachers raping teenage boys...LOL...those boys
> **** themselves because they are not smart enough to keep their pipe
> shut....so they end up on the news and their friends laugh at them because
> they lost their hot piece of ass....but even those dumbasses can change
> their oil....<@@>

dang joey, why are you soo rude??? he's just asking for help

Joey Tribiani February 4th 07 05:18 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> > wuts the point of school??? so ur ****ing teachers can rape you???
>> > thats THE MAIN THING ON THE NEWS DUMB****S

>> LOL...yeah...lots of hot teachers raping teenage boys...LOL...those boys
>> **** themselves because they are not smart enough to keep their pipe
>> shut....so they end up on the news and their friends laugh at them
>> because
>> they lost their hot piece of ass....but even those dumbasses can change
>> their oil....<@@>

> dang joey, why are you soo rude??? he's just asking for help

don't be so hard on Joey, he's very sensitive...(see how silly it sounds?)

BobHoover February 4th 07 06:28 AM

1970 vw beetle Oil change...

On Feb 1, 8:14 pm, Jan > wrote:

> I agree with Joey here.. by ear is a "limp home mode" :)

'Tuning by ear' also serves as a handy IQ test.

-Bob Hoover