AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Alfa 147 1.6 Service costs (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=247)

Jonathan Day July 7th 04 12:41 AM

Alfa 147 1.6 Service costs

Hi

I recently booked my 147 1.6 Lusso into Caledonia Preston (lancs) for its
36K service and need fell off my chair when they gave me the price 」355
+VAT. Along with the brakes that will probably need doing I will likely face
a 」500 bill.

This is just the thought of thing that will put me off buying my next Alfa
which is a shame as I really like the car. I also have a Hyundai which comes
with a 5 year warranty and 3 years servicing thrown in. It also has no
faults whereas the 147 has several including a repeat problem with the cam
variator.

Anyone else feel put off by high servicing costs, crap service and cars with
too many faults? For me it taints the joy of owning an Alfa.

Jonathan

PhilipS July 7th 04 08:50 AM

> I recently booked my 147 1.6 Lusso into Caledonia Preston (lancs) for its
> 36K service and need fell off my chair when they gave me the price 」355
> +VAT. Along with the brakes that will probably need doing I will likely face
> a 」500 bill.

Hi, mines getting mightly close to its 36k. ouch! did the 」355 +VAT
include a cambelt change, as I understand that this is now 'policy'
for TS engines at 36k rather than 72k?

(PS I just have to site behind those cowled dials to remind myself
it's worth it!!)

PhilipS

Simon July 7th 04 11:44 AM

"Jonathan Day" > wrote in message >...
> Hi
>
> I recently booked my 147 1.6 Lusso into Caledonia Preston (lancs) for its
> 36K service and need fell off my chair when they gave me the price 」355
> +VAT. Along with the brakes that will probably need doing I will likely face
> a 」500 bill.
>
> This is just the thought of thing that will put me off buying my next Alfa
> which is a shame as I really like the car. I also have a Hyundai which comes
> with a 5 year warranty and 3 years servicing thrown in. It also has no
> faults whereas the 147 has several including a repeat problem with the cam
> variator.
>
> Anyone else feel put off by high servicing costs, crap service and cars with
> too many faults? For me it taints the joy of owning an Alfa.
>
> Jonathan

What did they do/replace?

The cam/variator should simply be replaced under warranty along with
the timing belt when it's done.

Wait till you get a V6 and the timing belt/tensioners need doing ;-)

Neuropean July 7th 04 03:51 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:41:22 GMT, "Jonathan Day" >
wrote:

=>Hi
=>
=>I recently booked my 147 1.6 Lusso into Caledonia Preston (lancs)
for its
=>36K service and need fell off my chair when they gave me the price
ツ」355
=>+VAT. Along with the brakes that will probably need doing I will
likely face
=>a ツ」500 bill.
=>
=>This is just the thought of thing that will put me off buying my
next Alfa
=>which is a shame as I really like the car. I also have a Hyundai
which comes
=>with a 5 year warranty and 3 years servicing thrown in. It also has
no
=>faults whereas the 147 has several including a repeat problem with
the cam
=>variator.
=>
=>Anyone else feel put off by high servicing costs, crap service and
cars with
=>too many faults? For me it taints the joy of owning an Alfa.
=>
=>Jonathan
=>

for me:

221 Euro at 20.000 km
243 Euro at 40.000 km
330 Euro at 60.000 km
290 Euro at 80.000 km

Do the math, I smell a rath :-)

A faulty variator is changed under warranty. Outside warranty it can
be solved most of the times by a 2竄ャ spare part replacement.
And Hyundai don't make cars, in my opinion. ;-)
Neuropean

Mr Flipflops July 8th 04 10:38 PM

"Jonathan Day" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I recently booked my 147 1.6 Lusso into Caledonia Preston (lancs) for its
> 36K service and need fell off my chair when they gave me the price 」355
> +VAT. Along with the brakes that will probably need doing I will likely

face
> a 」500 bill.
>
> This is just the thought of thing that will put me off buying my next Alfa
> which is a shame as I really like the car. I also have a Hyundai which

comes
> with a 5 year warranty and 3 years servicing thrown in. It also has no
> faults whereas the 147 has several including a repeat problem with the cam
> variator.
>
> Anyone else feel put off by high servicing costs, crap service and cars

with
> too many faults? For me it taints the joy of owning an Alfa.
>
> Jonathan

Time to learn some DIY. Things that aren't covered in the price of the
scheduled service (brakes, exhausts etc) can be done by yourself or an
independent for much cheaper (you still keep your FASH). Dealer quoted me
」60 for one rear brake disc (not including fitting) for the 156 V6. I paid
」30 for 2 Delphi Lockheed discs and 15 quid for the DL pads, including
postage. The whole axle done for less than the price of one dealer disc
(which probably isn't as good as the Delphis anyway). Leave the brake fluid
for the scheduled service. http://www.buypartsby.co.uk

Rgds

Stuart

[email protected] July 9th 04 11:08 PM

Neuropean > wrote in message >. ..
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:41:22 GMT, "Jonathan Day" >
> wrote:
>
> =>Hi
> =>
> =>I recently booked my 147 1.6 Lusso into Caledonia Preston (lancs)
> for its
> =>36K service and need fell off my chair when they gave me the price
> テδづつ」355
> =>+VAT. Along with the brakes that will probably need doing I will
> likely face
> =>a テδづつ」500 bill.
> =>
> =>This is just the thought of thing that will put me off buying my
> next Alfa
> =>which is a shame as I really like the car. I also have a Hyundai
> which comes
> =>with a 5 year warranty and 3 years servicing thrown in. It also has
> no
> =>faults whereas the 147 has several including a repeat problem with
> the cam
> =>variator.
> =>
> =>Anyone else feel put off by high servicing costs, crap service and
> cars with
> =>too many faults? For me it taints the joy of owning an Alfa.
> =>
> =>Jonathan
> =>
>
> for me:
>
> 221 Euro at 20.000 km
> 243 Euro at 40.000 km
> 330 Euro at 60.000 km
> 290 Euro at 80.000 km
>
> Do the math, I smell a rath :-)
>
> A faulty variator is changed under warranty. Outside warranty it can
> be solved most of the times by a 2テδ「テつづつャ spare part replacement.
> And Hyundai don't make cars, in my opinion. ;-)
> Neuropean

And just wait till he wants to sell his Hyundai on. He can come back
and talk about it to us then. When he can't get the price he wants, or
a buyer willing to take it on. Then is it worth paying for a few parts
for the 147. Plus, am I not right in saying that Alfa Romeo a few
months ago were selling cars with a 5 year warranty at the dealers. I
stand to be corrected if I'm wrong. John, UK.

Colonel Tupperware July 10th 04 09:29 AM

On 9 Jul 2004 15:08:38 -0700, wrote:

>And just wait till he wants to sell his Hyundai on. He can come back
>and talk about it to us then. When he can't get the price he wants, or
>a buyer willing to take it on. Then is it worth paying for a few parts
>for the 147.

I depends. Do you want a reasonably priced car that goes for ever,
never breaks down, is cheap to service but has no kudos or resale
value, or an Alfa?
The Alfa of course has kudos, but loses on every other front,
including the resale value.

--
ColonelTupperware
spouting ******** on Usenet since 1997

Catman July 10th 04 09:46 AM

Colonel Tupperware wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2004 15:08:38 -0700, wrote:
>

>>And just wait till he wants to sell his Hyundai on. He can come back
>>and talk about it to us then. When he can't get the price he wants, or
>>a buyer willing to take it on. Then is it worth paying for a few parts
>>for the 147.

> I depends. Do you want a reasonably priced car that goes for ever,
> never breaks down, is cheap to service but has no kudos or resale
> value, or an Alfa?

*some* alfas rarely break down as well.
> The Alfa of course has kudos, but loses on every other front,
> including the resale value.

Plus Alfas above a 'certain age' cease to lose value. Just like every
other car. In fact, this could be seen as a benefit specific to Alfas,
since it happens sooner in the life cycle ;)

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Alfistagj July 10th 04 12:40 PM

"Colonel Tupperware" > schreef in bericht
> On 9 Jul 2004 15:08:38 -0700, wrote:
> The Alfa of course has kudos, but loses on every other front,
> including the resale value.

What's new??
Why do all those people drive Alfa's?
They should be mad!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Colonel Tupperware July 10th 04 04:56 PM

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:40:34 +0200, "Alfistagj"
> wrote:

>"Colonel Tupperware" > schreef in bericht
.. .
>> On 9 Jul 2004 15:08:38 -0700, wrote:
>> The Alfa of course has kudos, but loses on every other front,
>> including the resale value.

>What's new??
>Why do all those people drive Alfa's?

Because they like them.