AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New Beetle (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13877)

Tim murphy December 30th 04 05:48 PM

New Beetle

That type of fuel consumption seems excessive.
I have a 65 beetle that used to give 35+ to the gallon.
Tim

"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
> Some interesting or not so interesting trivia. The Aircooled Beetle gets
> around 26-28 miles per gallon. I looked up what the mpg is on a New

Beetle
> with a 4 cyl and manual trans at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ The New

Beetle
> only gets 24 mpg in the city. Maybe that 1930s carburated aircooled

technology

jjs December 30th 04 07:20 PM

"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
> Some interesting or not so interesting trivia. The Aircooled Beetle gets
> around 26-28 miles per gallon. I looked up what the mpg is on a New
> Beetle
> with a 4 cyl and manual trans at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ The New
> Beetle
> only gets 24 mpg in the city. Maybe that 1930s carburated aircooled
> technology
> is not that bad after all. :o)

Good figures to have, Bill. Thanks. While almost off-topic, my 99 Taurus
station wagon has a half-ton chassis (same capacity as some Suburbans) and
gets 24.5mpg at 75mph with the air conditioning running! (back on-topic: I
use it to tow Bugs and stuff.)

jjs December 30th 04 07:21 PM

"Tim murphy" > wrote in message
> That type of fuel consumption seems excessive.
> I have a 65 beetle that used to give 35+ to the gallon.

Downhill with a tail-wind.

jjs December 30th 04 07:21 PM

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:48:12 -0000, "Tim murphy" >
> wrote:
>
>>That type of fuel consumption seems excessive.
>>I have a 65 beetle that used to give 35+ to the gallon.
>>Tim

> Are Irish gallons = US gallons?

Befor or after breakfast beers?

Tim murphy December 30th 04 09:15 PM

> >>That type of fuel consumption seems excessive.
> >>I have a 65 beetle that used to give 35+ to the gallon.
> >>Tim

> > Are Irish gallons = US gallons?

No..we pay top dollar for our gas.....you just invade thirdworld countries
and steal it, and then sell it for nothing.;-)

Tim

Tim murphy December 30th 04 09:16 PM

> > That type of fuel consumption seems excessive.
> > I have a 65 beetle that used to give 35+ to the gallon.

Seems we know more about tuning beetles than you do .

He..He..;-)
Tim

jjs December 30th 04 09:22 PM

"Tim murphy" > wrote in message
> [...]
> No..we pay top dollar for our gas.....you just invade thirdworld countries
> and steal it, and then sell it for nothing.;-)

Actually, Americans pay dearly for oil, but not at the pump.

Tim murphy December 30th 04 09:35 PM

If you still doubt the fuel consumption, then check out fuel economy here,
same engine specs.
http://www.ltv-vwc.org.uk/W_Spin/ws_...ntry_Buggy.htm.

How dearly do you pay at the pumps. We pay 5 euros a gallon here in
Ireland, about 6 dollars I think.

Tim

Dennis Wik January 1st 05 03:37 PM

I had a 63 VW that could get the high 30's mpg years ago. It also ran
to lean and hot which is not good for air cooled as I learned. This is
why I run rich and with lots of air flow at all speeds. I ran my Puma
the other day at highway speeds for about 10 miles. The oil temp was
about 160F. I like that.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Tim Rogers January 1st 05 04:54 PM

"Tim murphy" > wrote in message

> That type of fuel consumption seems excessive.
> I have a 65 beetle that used to give 35+ to the gallon.

.................If the Irish use the UK's larger Imperial gallon instead of
the American gallon, it would help to explain this discrepancy. The other
difference that comes to mind is that Americans drive at higher speeds on
better roads than most of Europe. The Autobahn in Germany is only comparable
to a minor branch of the interstatae highway system throughout North
America. Another aspect of driving style that comes into play is that
accelerating with more throttle than is necessary can make a huge difference
in gas mileage. I'd say that any stock bug no matter the year ought to get
approximately 30 miles to the American gallon in a mixed setting of city &
open road conditions if driven without a lead foot.