AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=370094)

Steve[_42_] August 15th 11 03:57 PM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

Cruise control won't maintain constant speed above 60 mph - it surges.
New fuel filter; fuel pressure is 65 psi (4.5 bar) at 4K rpm; new plugs.
I'm thinking coil pack? throttle body? Any help appreciated. TIA.

Steve

PeterD August 15th 11 06:09 PM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

On 8/15/2011 10:57 AM, Steve wrote:
> Cruise control won't maintain constant speed above 60 mph - it surges.
> New fuel filter; fuel pressure is 65 psi (4.5 bar) at 4K rpm; new plugs.
> I'm thinking coil pack? throttle body? Any help appreciated. TIA.
>
> Steve

OK, first I know nothing about this cruise control specifically. But I'd
suspect something other than engine components if the symptoms are only
present when the cruise control is used.

--
I'm never going to grow up.

Steve[_42_] August 16th 11 02:52 AM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

On 8/15/2011 1:09 PM, PeterD wrote:
> On 8/15/2011 10:57 AM, Steve wrote:
>> Cruise control won't maintain constant speed above 60 mph - it surges.
>> New fuel filter; fuel pressure is 65 psi (4.5 bar) at 4K rpm; new plugs.
>> I'm thinking coil pack? throttle body? Any help appreciated. TIA.
>>
>> Steve

> OK, first I know nothing about this cruise control specifically. But I'd
> suspect something other than engine components if the symptoms are only
> present when the cruise control is used.

Ok, I did leave out some additional information. When not using cruise
control the speedometer needle starts to bounce around 70 mph. I can
maintain a constant speed per my GPS but the needle bounces. The RPM's
do remain constant however when this happens.???

Thanks
Steve

PeterD August 16th 11 01:05 PM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

Ah, never leave out information! <bseg>

Digital speedometer, so check the speed sender (likely either at a wheel
or the transaxle) and wiring. Reseat your connectors as they may be the
problem. Often this is caused by some iron filings on the sensor (which
has a magnet init) which reduce its sensitivity. In fact, my money is on
the sensor either being dirty or failing causing a weak signal.

This problem must be fixed before even thinking about checking other
components--the cruise control is simply getting bad speed data which
causes your surging.

--
I'm never going to grow up.

Steve[_42_] August 16th 11 03:20 PM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

Speedo is analog.

PeterD August 16th 11 04:59 PM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

On 8/16/2011 10:20 AM, Steve wrote:
> Speedo is analog.

There's a difference between analog and mechanical. I don't think there
is a speedometer cable in an 04... But I could be wrong, so I'll check
to be sure, just as soon as the Internet comes back up...

--
I'm never going to grow up.

PeterD August 16th 11 05:32 PM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

On 8/16/2011 11:59 AM, PeterD wrote:
> On 8/16/2011 10:20 AM, Steve wrote:
>> Speedo is analog.
>>

> There's a difference between analog and mechanical. I don't think there
> is a speedometer cable in an 04... But I could be wrong, so I'll check
> to be sure, just as soon as the Internet comes back up...

OK, did some checking and everything I find says it is electronic
(digital) with an analog readout. Check the sensor, and try cleaning it
first.

--
I'm never going to grow up.

Steve[_42_] August 17th 11 02:47 AM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

On 8/16/2011 12:32 PM, PeterD wrote:
> On 8/16/2011 11:59 AM, PeterD wrote:
>> On 8/16/2011 10:20 AM, Steve wrote:
>>> Speedo is analog.
>>>

>> There's a difference between analog and mechanical. I don't think there
>> is a speedometer cable in an 04... But I could be wrong, so I'll check
>> to be sure, just as soon as the Internet comes back up...
>>

> OK, did some checking and everything I find says it is electronic
> (digital) with an analog readout. Check the sensor, and try cleaning it
> first.

Worth trying. Thanks.

LM[_3_] August 17th 11 02:05 PM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

There is a plastic speedo drive gear in the transmission. They like to break
causing the flaky needle on the cluster.

me again August 17th 11 10:25 PM

04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

LM wrote:
> There is a plastic speedo drive gear in the transmission. They like to break
> causing the flaky needle on the cluster.

Makes a noise you can hear (with the radio off) does it?