AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   VW Golf 3 rear fog lights (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14257)

Joseph Meehan October 26th 04 02:27 PM

VW Golf 3 rear fog lights

Maarten de Heus wrote:
> I was wondering if somebody from the US could please tell me how the rear
> lights of a VW Golf 3 light up. I've included a picture to make it easier
> explain.
> In Europe they work like this :
> A Turn signal
> B Backing up lights
> C Brake lights
> D Normal lights
> E Rear fog lights
>
> I've seen imported Golf's that have their rear lights set up like this :
> A turn signal
> B backing up lights
> C + D normal lights
> E brake lights
>
> I want to know what is being used as a rear fog light in the US. I want to
> make an adapter so my rear lights work like the US version, but I need to
> know what is being used as the rear fog lights before I can start making
> the
> adapter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maarten.

In the US we don't have rear fog lights. Even the switch is different
and has not read fog light position.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

VW R32 October 26th 04 08:28 PM

You can buy the Euro switch on VWVotex (do a search) for about $40.
There is also instuctions on how to wire it up with just a piece of wire
and a bulb.
I believe that C. in your picture of the tailight is the one used for
the rear foglight.

David Michalski , D.V.M.
-='04 VW R32 & '01 GTI GLX
Have Chip Will Travel

Rob Guenther October 26th 04 09:32 PM

I think you have it backwards... he wants to convert his euro switch and
euro tail lights to the American setup...

All we have here is "on" and "off" for the lights... no fog lights for the
rear.

Matt B. October 27th 04 04:07 AM

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
. ..
>I think you have it backwards... he wants to convert his euro switch and
>euro tail lights to the American setup...

That's what it sounded like to me too...and I ask...uh...why? Euro setup is
better.

But maybe it's a case of wanting to have what the other has...

Rob Guenther October 27th 04 11:07 PM

Wanting to be different... everyone in Europe has the euro setup, must get a
little boring... If he had an A4 Golf i'd have offered to send him all my
lighting equipment in exchange for all of his.

Maarten de Heus October 28th 04 11:33 AM

It's just wanting to be different with stock parts. I could install
aftermarket headlights, taillights, bumpers etc. but it generally makes
selling the car harder. Somebody who is 40+ often doesn't like Lexus-look
taillights, or Golf 4 look headlights etc., but they often do notice you
have the GTI / VR6 headlights and smoke taillights.

But I guessÍ'll go with my backup plan then. It'll just be a little more
work to get ik looking nicely.
I'll use C, D, and E as normal rear lights (all three at once, making it
nice and big), but with a resistor so the lights won't light up too bright.
Then I'll use C and D as my braking lights (running a higher voltage through
them so they do light up bright), and I'll keep on using E as as my rear fog
light
in short this will mean :
lights on : C D and E light up normally
lights on + brake : C and D light up bright, E lights up normally
lights on + fog : C and D light up normally, E lights up extra
bright.
lights on + brake + fog : C and D light up bright, E lights up extra bright

I just wonder how those imported A3's get through the M.O.T. as you need a
working rear fog light :S.

"Matt B." > schreef in bericht

Matt B. October 30th 04 02:14 AM

"Maarten de Heus" > wrote in message
>I just wonder how those imported A3's get through the M.O.T. as you need a
>working rear fog light :S.

Yeah I wonder about that too when I see US-spec cars overseas (e.g.: 80s
Ford Tauruses with (terrible) US spec headlamps).

And here I've seen some Euro ones that I wonder how they got registered. I
remember back in the late 1980s I saw an Opel sedan (not sure which one...an
Omega maybe?) with Arizona plates that looked completely Euro (didn't look
like anything was done to it).