AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   BMW service lights in the UK (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=1643)

spammy September 18th 04 11:18 AM

BMW service lights in the UK

Hi all.

I bought my E39 new back in sept 02. Since the last month, the service
lights have read a CLOCK symbol and two green lights. I haven't yet had a
service (no, I don't drive that much).

My understanding of this was that I needed the time based service - I think
that means fluid change and other minor things. On calling the garage, they
told me that I didn't need any serivce at all, but was welcome to get a
"safety check". I thought I should take this option seeing as I suspected
that I actually did need a service of some kind - it had been two years
since buying after all.

It turned out that the clock symbol DID mean that I needed a fluid change
but not a full service - I added that to the list and it was done. However,
on the car's return although the clock symbol was out the five green lights
had come back on. First question - is this right?

I called the mechanic back. He wasn't too sure (hmm), but referred to his
technician. Apparently they had inadvertently reset both the clock and
service lights, and the computer wouldn't let them restore it to two lights
on. Note that they would have let me drive away if i hadn't had asked them
about this. Second question - can the lights be custom set?

Finally I asked what I should do. I feared that if i follow the new lights,
Id be 3 service lights "late" for my first service. The mechanic advised
that I should return after the first two lights have turned off - i.e. when
there are 3 green lights remaining, at which point a service and another
rest of the lights would occur and Id be back in sync. So my final
questions - will three service lights indicate the correct time for my first
service, or would it be too early? Or more dangerously, too late? Are all
the lights of the same "value"? If not when should I actually go in for a
service? I dont expect my driving pattern to change much over the next few
months.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Spammy

Fred W. September 18th 04 02:30 PM

"spammy" > wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I bought my E39 new back in sept 02. Since the last month, the service
> lights have read a CLOCK symbol and two green lights. I haven't yet had a
> service (no, I don't drive that much).
>
> My understanding of this was that I needed the time based service - I

think
> that means fluid change and other minor things. On calling the garage,

they
> told me that I didn't need any serivce at all, but was welcome to get a
> "safety check". I thought I should take this option seeing as I suspected
> that I actually did need a service of some kind - it had been two years
> since buying after all.
>
> It turned out that the clock symbol DID mean that I needed a fluid change
> but not a full service - I added that to the list and it was done.

However,
> on the car's return although the clock symbol was out the five green

lights
> had come back on. First question - is this right?
>
> I called the mechanic back. He wasn't too sure (hmm), but referred to his
> technician. Apparently they had inadvertently reset both the clock and
> service lights, and the computer wouldn't let them restore it to two

lights
> on. Note that they would have let me drive away if i hadn't had asked them
> about this. Second question - can the lights be custom set?
>
> Finally I asked what I should do. I feared that if i follow the new

lights,
> Id be 3 service lights "late" for my first service. The mechanic advised
> that I should return after the first two lights have turned off - i.e.

when
> there are 3 green lights remaining, at which point a service and another
> rest of the lights would occur and Id be back in sync. So my final
> questions - will three service lights indicate the correct time for my

first
> service, or would it be too early? Or more dangerously, too late? Are all
> the lights of the same "value"? If not when should I actually go in for a
> service? I dont expect my driving pattern to change much over the next few
> months.

The first service would normally be an oil service only.
This should be accomplished (per the owners manual) either based on the
lights (mileage) or annually, whichever comes first. At the time that a
"time based" oil service occurs the service indicator should be reset and
you start both clocks over again (mileage lights and time).

Check to see if they accomplished all of the items on the oil service
checklist. They may not have. The clock icon indicates a bi-annual service
is due. That is the one where they just flush the cooling system and brake
lines. If you have not changed your oil in 2 years you are due (or
overdue). Just have them perform the oil service and you will be back in
sync now.

-Fred W

spammy September 18th 04 05:48 PM

"Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote in
message ...

> The first service would normally be an oil service only.
> This should be accomplished (per the owners manual) either based on the
> lights (mileage) or annually, whichever comes first. At the time that a
> "time based" oil service occurs the service indicator should be reset and
> you start both clocks over again (mileage lights and time).

> Check to see if they accomplished all of the items on the oil service
> checklist. They may not have. The clock icon indicates a bi-annual
> service
> is due. That is the one where they just flush the cooling system and
> brake
> lines. If you have not changed your oil in 2 years you are due (or
> overdue). Just have them perform the oil service and you will be back in
> sync now.

Thanks for the help, Fred. I checked the manual again and it agrees with you
saying that if you drive well less than 6000 miles a year (we're on about
7,500 atm!) then you should ignore the lights and change the oil every two
years anyway.

Assuming we carry on using the car at the same rate, does that me we have
our inspections (I or II) every two years also?

Spammy

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 04 06:55 PM

In article >,
spammy > wrote:
> I bought my E39 new back in sept 02. Since the last month, the service
> lights have read a CLOCK symbol and two green lights. I haven't yet had
> a service (no, I don't drive that much).

> My understanding of this was that I needed the time based service - I
> think that means fluid change and other minor things. On calling the
> garage, they told me that I didn't need any serivce at all, but was
> welcome to get a "safety check". I thought I should take this option
> seeing as I suspected that I actually did need a service of some kind -
> it had been two years since buying after all.

The clock symbol merely means that certain items need attention at the
next service - it's not critical. But a low mileage per year car should
have a time based oil service anyway - regardless of the lights. Check
handbook for details.

--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.