AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   e39, 2001 530i - rear brake caliper bracket (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=42880)

MP September 8th 05 07:46 PM

e39, 2001 530i - rear brake caliper bracket

HI all

Just changing my rear brake disc and pads and I have a few questions:

1. The lower caliper bracket bolt is very inaccesible to torque to
recommended setting - is it okay if I make it real tight and leave?
2. These caliper bolts don't appear to be a 16mm bolt! And I'm started to
round the head, slightly, is it worth changing and can anyone tell me what
exactly are the size of these caliper bracket bolts?
3. I noticed the rear discs to rub slightly against the handbrake shoes is
this normal, again it is only a light friction sound?

Thanks for all your help.

Matt

Dave Plowman (News) September 8th 05 10:05 PM

In article >,
MP > wrote:
> 1. The lower caliper bracket bolt is very inaccesible to torque to
> recommended setting - is it okay if I make it real tight and leave?

If you put the wheels back on and lower the car, you can *just* get a
torque wrench on the lower caliper bracket bolt.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.