AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can I Pour Stop Leak into the Coolant Bottle? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=337754)

Kyonn Gowans September 25th 09 08:11 AM

Can I Pour Stop Leak into the Coolant Bottle?

My '89 Cherokee 6cly has a small crack in the radiator. I bought a bottle of
heavy duty stop leak but this model doesn't have a radiator cap, can I pour
it into the coolant bottle? Thanks in advance for any help.

dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_] September 25th 09 12:20 PM

Can I Pour Stop Leak into the Coolant Bottle?

!!!!WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!!
I worked on a vehicle where someone dumped some stop leak in the expansion
bottle.
That stop leak was able to close up a 1/2" hole but unfortunately that hole
was the expansion bottle outlet pipe and hose. lol
That vehicle overheated until things were unclogged and the leak elsewhere
was repaired properly. ;-)

It might be best, in your case, to take off the radiator hose and dump that
stuff directly into the radiator!
Of course replacing the radiator is an option too! <g>

JMHO
--
later,
dave AKA vwdoc1

PeterD September 25th 09 01:31 PM

Can I Pour Stop Leak into the Coolant Bottle?

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 06:20:07 -0500, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>!!!!WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!!
>I worked on a vehicle where someone dumped some stop leak in the expansion
>bottle.
>That stop leak was able to close up a 1/2" hole but unfortunately that hole
>was the expansion bottle outlet pipe and hose. lol
>That vehicle overheated until things were unclogged and the leak elsewhere
>was repaired properly. ;-)
>
>It might be best, in your case, to take off the radiator hose and dump that
>stuff directly into the radiator!
>Of course replacing the radiator is an option too! <g>
>
>JMHO

I was just about to say the same thing! yes, remove the hose and use
that method, don't dump in the expansion tank...

Will Honea[_1_] September 25th 09 09:58 PM

Kyonn Gowans wrote:

> My '89 Cherokee 6cly has a small crack in the radiator. I bought a bottle
> of heavy duty stop leak but this model doesn't have a radiator cap, can I
> pour it into the coolant bottle? Thanks in advance for any help.

Slight hi-jack, but does anyone know where to get a cap for one of those
closed system bottles? Heat and age have taken a toll on mine but the
bottle is still in good shape so all I need is a new cap.

--
Will Honea

DougW[_2_] September 25th 09 11:05 PM

Will Honea wrote:
> Kyonn Gowans wrote:
>
>> My '89 Cherokee 6cly has a small crack in the radiator. I bought a
>> bottle of heavy duty stop leak but this model doesn't have a
>> radiator cap, can I pour it into the coolant bottle? Thanks in
>> advance for any help.

> Slight hi-jack, but does anyone know where to get a cap for one of
> those closed system bottles? Heat and age have taken a toll on mine
> but the bottle is still in good shape so all I need is a new cap.

All problems can be solved by the proper application of C-4.

:)

Dunno about your application but I found one of those old
metal creamer bottle lids fit mine. Then again my system
uses the older overflow bottle and a regular radiator cap.

Probably the dealership or the "help" section at autozone or similar
parts store. Migth call NAPA, they carry a few various lids.

--
DougW

DougW[_2_] September 25th 09 11:06 PM

Kyonn Gowans wrote:
> My '89 Cherokee 6cly has a small crack in the radiator. I bought a
> bottle of heavy duty stop leak but this model doesn't have a radiator
> cap, can I pour it into the coolant bottle? Thanks in advance for any
> help.

The best thing to do is put a new radiator in there. The stop-leak
stuff isn't terribly good for the coolant system or for the heater core.

--
DougW

Will Honea[_1_] September 26th 09 06:54 AM

DougW wrote:

> The best thing to do is put a new radiator in there. Â*The stop-leak
> stuff isn't terribly good for the coolant system or for the heater core.

That's my plan and has been for 7-8 years but the damned copper OEM radiator
just won't die!.

Those plastic bottles use a plastic cap that serves as the radiator cap as
well with pressure regulation and backflow relief just like a normal
radiator cap. After a while, the plastic shell starts to degrade and
cracks. One fell completely apart on me. My fallback is fab a metal cap
that will accept a standard radiator cap. After 22 years, you sometimes
have to get creative with parts....

--
Will Honea

DougW[_2_] September 26th 09 02:41 PM

Will Honea wrote:
> DougW wrote:
>
>> The best thing to do is put a new radiator in there. The stop-leak
>> stuff isn't terribly good for the coolant system or for the heater
>> core.

> That's my plan and has been for 7-8 years but the damned copper OEM
> radiator just won't die!.

You can do what I did and ram a tree branch through it. :) Little bugger
snuck up from under the bumper too.

> Those plastic bottles use a plastic cap that serves as the radiator
> cap as well with pressure regulation and backflow relief just like a
> normal radiator cap. After a while, the plastic shell starts to
> degrade and cracks. One fell completely apart on me. My fallback is
> fab a metal cap that will accept a standard radiator cap. After 22
> years, you sometimes have to get creative with parts....

Yea. I had a similar leak and tried epoxy and tapping the ears back
down a bit. It held for about a month then sprung another leak.

--
DougW

Kate[_8_] September 27th 09 10:25 PM

Can I Pour Stop Leak into the Coolant Bottle?

Hwy Will,
I googled "87 jeep overflow" and came up with a number of sites that have
the whole tank. One I looked at was about $26.
http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...t+tank+j161303

This may not be the right one for your Jeep, but you might be able to find
one pretty easily.

K.

L.W.\(Bill\) Hughes III September 27th 09 11:44 PM

Can I Pour Stop Leak into the Coolant Bottle?

Hi Kate,
Kyonn's Cherokee was built by Renault, therefore has pressurize storage
tank, rather than a sane designed overflow reservoir like an American car:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/condenserTank.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm