AutoBanter

-   Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   93 Saturn SL2 belt noise (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38420)

yk July 17th 05 07:32 AM

93 Saturn SL2 belt noise

My saturn makes a huge noise, probably from one of belts, after starting
engine, especially when the engine is still cool. It lasts for about 100
yards and eventually goes away. What could be the problem? Do I need to
replace belts? If so, which one ? It has automatic transmission and AC
if that matters. TIA.

Kevin M. Keller July 17th 05 04:42 PM

"yk" > typed until their fingers bled, and came up
with:

Do I need to replace belts? If so, which one ?

Yes, you need to replace the belt. There is only one, and it's quite easy
to do.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com

Lane July 17th 05 05:46 PM

It could also be the idler pulley. Earlier cars had this as a common
problem.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Kevin M. Keller July 17th 05 10:31 PM

"Lane" > typed until their fingers bled, and
came up with:

> It could also be the idler pulley. Earlier cars had this as a common
> problem.

Or the belt tensioner. those wear out as well.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com

yk July 18th 05 06:26 AM

"Kevin M. Keller" > wrote in message
> "Lane" > typed until their fingers bled, and
> came up with:
>
> > It could also be the idler pulley. Earlier cars had this as a common
> > problem.
> >

> Or the belt tensioner. those wear out as well.

Are they, belt tensioner and idler pullley easy to replace as well ?
Thanks.

Fred V. July 19th 05 02:03 AM

In my case it was the belt tensioner. Easy to replace
but I needed a offset wrench to get at the nuts to
get it out.

Fred, 94 SC2

Kevin M. Keller July 20th 05 01:13 AM

"yk" > typed until their fingers bled, and came up
with:

> Are they, belt tensioner and idler pullley easy to replace as well ?
> Thanks.

actually, yes. once the belt is off, the idler is 1 bolt, the tensioner is
2 - but they are a bit of a pain to get to.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com

yk July 27th 05 03:04 AM

It was a tensioner. Replacing it solved the problem. Thanks.