AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Great Car Audio System (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=64432)

[email protected] May 6th 06 07:53 AM

Great Car Audio System

Is it a common perception that a great car audio system is or must be
loud and boomy, i.e. high bass. I don't know if that is an essential
characteristic of a good car audio system since there will always be
the engine noise to overcome.

Are there any car audio systems that can deliver comparable depth and
richness of a good home audio system, while parked with your top down
in an open air environment like a scenic outlook or a park? Just for
your personal enjoyment but not necessarily to get attention.

Cheers ...

Pooh Bear May 6th 06 08:44 AM

Great Car Audio System

wrote:

> Is it a common perception that a great car audio system is or must be
> loud and boomy, i.e. high bass. I don't know if that is an essential
> characteristic of a good car audio system since there will always be
> the engine noise to overcome.

Not in a decent car. ;-)

> Are there any car audio systems that can deliver comparable depth and
> richness of a good home audio system, while parked with your top down
> in an open air environment like a scenic outlook or a park? Just for
> your personal enjoyment but not necessarily to get attention.

Not a chance. Car audio is a poor relation of home hi-fi. You can get
something that sounds quite decent though.

Graham

necromancer May 7th 06 06:18 AM

Great Car Audio System

> :
> Is it a common perception that a great car audio system is or must be
> loud and boomy, i.e. high bass. I don't know if that is an essential
> characteristic of a good car audio system since there will always be
> the engine noise to overcome.

No, it (loud, boomy bass) isn't an essential characteristic of a good
sound system. To my ears, a good sound system is one that plays the
music clearly and over the engine noise. Just MNSHO, but a sound system
that is heavy on bass to the point of making the car's body panels
rattle just plain sucks.

> Are there any car audio systems that can deliver comparable depth and
> richness of a good home audio system, while parked with your top down
> in an open air environment like a scenic outlook or a park? Just for
> your personal enjoyment but not necessarily to get attention.

Your best bet would be to talk to a professional car audio installer (or
two). Tell them what you want and they can put together a system to do
what you want. IMO, at the minimum, you are looking at a set of speakers
for your car (good speakers will make even a factory dash unit sound
pretty good). A dash unit/CD changer and an amplifier would also be
helpful.

Have fun, while at the park or scenic outlook, please be considerate of
others...

gpsman May 7th 06 02:39 PM

Great Car Audio System

wrote:
> Is it a common perception that a great car audio system is or must be
> loud and boomy, i.e. high bass.

That's a common misperception among high school students. They really
have no "feel" for music unless they can physically feel the
bass...but, if it sounds good to them, it sounds good. They *like* the
buzzing of body panels and structural supports (yours and theirs) and
it offers the essentially powerless a small, insignificant and
imaginary feeling of power.

> I don't know if that is an essential
> characteristic of a good car audio system since there will always be
> the engine noise to overcome.

Wind noise is more of a problem unless your engine is especially noisy.

> Are there any car audio systems that can deliver comparable depth and
> richness of a good home audio system, while parked with your top down
> in an open air environment like a scenic outlook or a park? Just for
> your personal enjoyment but not necessarily to get attention.

The largest limitations to be overcome with vehicle sound systems is
the acoustic space, or lack thereof, and the structural materials.
They just aren't conducive to reflecting sound very well.

A junkyard will probably have some Bose systems laying around... maybe
your best sound choice for the money.
-----

- gpsman

Alex Rodriguez May 8th 06 07:31 PM

Great Car Audio System

In article .com>,
says...

>A junkyard will probably have some Bose systems laying around... maybe
>your best sound choice for the money.

Bose systems are designed for specific cars, so unless you find the same
model car as yours, it probably won't sounds as good as it did in the
original car.
--------------
Alex

[email protected] May 10th 06 10:22 PM

Great Car Audio System

wrote:
> Is it a common perception that a great car audio system is or must be
> loud and boomy, i.e. high bass. I don't know if that is an essential
>
> [snip]
>
> in an open air environment like a scenic outlook or a park? Just for
> your personal enjoyment but not necessarily to get attention.
>
> Cheers ...

Thank you all for you input; and yes, I try my best to be considerate
of others.

I failed to mention that, I have no prejudice against loud and boomy
car audio systems; It's simply individual taste. I was just trying to
say that, if I ever get attention for my car audio system, I'd rather
let it be for the quality (richness and depth) instead of the quantity
(decibles).

BTW, how do Nakamichi car audio systems fare these days?

Thanks again ...