AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ignition hard to turn (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=440844)

Tim R August 10th 18 08:51 PM

ignition hard to turn

It's an older Chevy. Occasionally the key didn't want to turn, but enough jiggling and I could get it to start.

Now it's every time, and I'm never sure I'll get it.

Would spraying lubricant into the keyhole help, or make it worse?

Kevin Bottorff[_3_] August 11th 18 09:59 PM

ignition hard to turn

Tim R > wrote in
:

> It's an older Chevy. Occasionally the key didn't want to turn, but
> enough jiggling and I could get it to start.
>
> Now it's every time, and I'm never sure I'll get it.
>
> Would spraying lubricant into the keyhole help, or make it worse?

it wont hurt anything but dont expect it to help much. the key may be wore
out or the tumbler cyl is. but try the lub first. KB
ps if you have another key try it first.

John_H August 11th 18 10:58 PM

ignition hard to turn

Tim R wrote:

>It's an older Chevy. Occasionally the key didn't want to turn, but enough jiggling and I could get it to start.
>
>Now it's every time, and I'm never sure I'll get it.
>
>Would spraying lubricant into the keyhole help, or make it worse?

Better to use powdered graphite (or a dry lube stick) applied directly
to the key.

--
John H

Tim R August 13th 18 01:44 PM

ignition hard to turn

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 5:58:27 PM UTC-4, John_H wrote:
> Tim R wrote:
>
> >It's an older Chevy. Occasionally the key didn't want to turn, but enough jiggling and I could get it to start.
> >
> >Now it's every time, and I'm never sure I'll get it.
> >
> >Would spraying lubricant into the keyhole help, or make it worse?

> Better to use powdered graphite (or a dry lube stick) applied directly
> to the key.
>
> --
> John H

I'm wary of powdered graphite. Sometimes it can cake into dried mud.

I tried all three keys. All have the same problem. It acts like when the steering wheel is in the wrong position, preventing the key from turning. But if we play with it enough eventually it frees and turns.

I put a drop of STP on the key and tried that. It improved the action greatly, when it isn't stuck. It doesn't seem to have reduced the getting stuck.

dsi1[_11_] August 13th 18 05:20 PM

ignition hard to turn

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 2:44:24 AM UTC-10, Tim R wrote:
> On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 5:58:27 PM UTC-4, John_H wrote:
> > Tim R wrote:
> >
> > >It's an older Chevy. Occasionally the key didn't want to turn, but enough jiggling and I could get it to start.
> > >
> > >Now it's every time, and I'm never sure I'll get it.
> > >
> > >Would spraying lubricant into the keyhole help, or make it worse?

> > Better to use powdered graphite (or a dry lube stick) applied directly
> > to the key.
> >
> > --
> > John H

> I'm wary of powdered graphite. Sometimes it can cake into dried mud.
>
> I tried all three keys. All have the same problem. It acts like when the steering wheel is in the wrong position, preventing the key from turning. But if we play with it enough eventually it frees and turns.
>
> I put a drop of STP on the key and tried that. It improved the action greatly, when it isn't stuck. It doesn't seem to have reduced the getting stuck.

You're putting a load on the latch of the steering wheel lock. Rotate the steering wheel until the pressure is relieved and frees up the ignition lock.

[email protected] August 14th 18 03:29 AM

ignition hard to turn

> You're putting a load on the latch of the steering wheel lock. Rotate the steering wheel until the pressure is relieved and frees up the ignition lock.

yep on my antique car I turn the wheel about 2 degrees to the left and then
the key moves just fine.

Nils K. Hammer

Tim R August 14th 18 01:23 PM

ignition hard to turn

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 10:29:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > You're putting a load on the latch of the steering wheel lock. Rotate the steering wheel until the pressure is relieved and frees up the ignition lock.

> yep on my antique car I turn the wheel about 2 degrees to the left and then
> the key moves just fine.
>
> Nils K. Hammer

I've had cars (Fords) where you had to shake the steering wheel when the key locked up like that.

If I push on the key, the lock will go in a short distance and then turn to the accessory position. It won't go immediately to start, but once it's in accessory getting it into start is usually quick. I think the lubrication helped, it's sticking less now and turning more easily.

I used the same stuff (STP) on the rear view mirror. My wife broke it off - the glue let go from the windshield. When I re-glued it I realized both ball and socket joints were very hard to move, so I put a drop of STP on each and worked them until smooth. It adjusts easily now.

J.B. Wood[_2_] August 15th 18 11:21 AM

ignition hard to turn

On 08/14/2018 08:23 AM, Tim R wrote:

> I've had cars (Fords) where you had to shake the steering wheel when the key locked up like that.
>
> If I push on the key, the lock will go in a short distance and then turn to the accessory position. It won't go immediately to start, but once it's in accessory getting it into start is usually quick. I think the lubrication helped, it's sticking less now and turning more easily.
>
> I used the same stuff (STP) on the rear view mirror. My wife broke it off - the glue let go from the windshield. When I re-glued it I realized both ball and socket joints were very hard to move, so I put a drop of STP on each and worked them until smooth. It adjusts easily now. >

Hello, and while I can't add/refute anything to the responses to the OP
I wanted to add that I've found silicone spray to be an excellent
lubricant for tight lock cylinders and keyways and it doesn't cake up
like graphite. The other plus is that one application lasts quite a
while. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

Tim R October 1st 18 03:28 PM

ignition hard to turn

Follow-up: the small amount of STP must have eventually worked its way through the lock, and now we're having no issues.