AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2000 Jeep down-grade driving (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=11493)

Bryan Ross November 30th 04 07:48 PM

2000 Jeep down-grade driving

I have an automatic 3 speed transmission in my 2000 jeep wrangler (4.0) .
When driving down-hill it seems to speed up even when the grade is not
changing. My 99 Mountaineer holds back better in first gear than my jeep.
I had it diagnosed, but nothing showed up as being a problem. Has anyone
else had this problem, and is there something I can do about it, other than
chaning the transmission.

Thank you,
Bryan R

meanmrmustard December 1st 04 04:43 AM

Bryan Ross wrote:

> I have an automatic 3 speed transmission in my 2000 jeep wrangler (4.0) .
> When driving down-hill it seems to speed up even when the grade is not
> changing. My 99 Mountaineer holds back better in first gear than my jeep.
> I had it diagnosed, but nothing showed up as being a problem. Has anyone
> else had this problem, and is there something I can do about it, other than
> chaning the transmission.
>
> Thank you,
> Bryan R

Avoid Gravity.

Or use your brakes.

MeanMrMustard

meanmrmustard December 1st 04 04:43 AM

Bryan Ross wrote:

> I have an automatic 3 speed transmission in my 2000 jeep wrangler (4.0) .
> When driving down-hill it seems to speed up even when the grade is not
> changing. My 99 Mountaineer holds back better in first gear than my jeep.
> I had it diagnosed, but nothing showed up as being a problem. Has anyone
> else had this problem, and is there something I can do about it, other than
> chaning the transmission.
>
> Thank you,
> Bryan R

Avoid Gravity.

Or use your brakes.

MeanMrMustard

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III December 1st 04 06:21 AM

It's a part of your computer fuel efficiency program to bypass your
throttle plate on quick deceleration for a couple of seconds. If you
have a Highway Patrol on your tail, pull her down a gear to avoid
letting him know you both know you're speeding by hitting your brakes.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III December 1st 04 06:21 AM

Matt December 1st 04 08:54 PM

I have the same transmission in my '99, and it seems to SLOW DOWN when
going down most hills. It's bizarre. I think that may be partly why it
gets such crappy mileage. I haven't heard of one running faster like
that, though.

Matt

Matt December 1st 04 08:54 PM