AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2.4JTD Gearbox (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=724)

Nick Evans January 17th 05 11:35 PM

2.4JTD Gearbox

Hi,

My car is a 2001 156 2.4JTD (140bhp).

The gearlever has recently stopped centring itself on the 3rd/4th gear
plane which makes changing gear a bit more difficult. Occasionally I
select 1st when I want 3rd, and 2nd when I want 4th - not ideal!

There seems to be no 'spring' in the gearlever at all, but otherwise
the gearbox seems fine - any ideas as to what has gone wrong (and how
much it will cost to put right)?

Whilst on the subject of the gearbox, does anyone know what the
maximum amount of torque the standard gearbox can take? Was just
wondering If getting it chip tuned would chew up the gearbox.

Thanks

Nick