AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to keep sound on when backing up. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=442251)

micky May 14th 19 05:06 PM

How to keep sound on when backing up.

The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
stop that.

If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
ridiculous.

The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
Honda.

This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
drove didn't do that.

If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
matter.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] May 14th 19 06:03 PM

On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:
> The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
> radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
> stop that.
>
> If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
> before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
> ridiculous.
>
> The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
> Honda.
>
> This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
> up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
> drove didn't do that.
>
> If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
> Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
> outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
> matter.

My car just reduces the sound, not turn it off. You probably have to
program the computer to change it, not user options for it. Many cars
now restrict the use of radio and navigation while in reverse.

Meanie[_3_] May 14th 19 06:51 PM

How to keep sound on when backing up.

On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:
> The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
> radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
> stop that.
>
> If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
> before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
> ridiculous.
>
> The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
> Honda.
>
> This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
> up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
> drove didn't do that.
>
> If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
> Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
> outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
> matter.

Do you drive backwards? What's the amount of time you back up...? 15, 30
seconds tops? You're seriously concerned about something important on
the radio you need to stop for 30 seconds of backing up?

I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.

micky May 14th 19 08:44 PM

How to keep sound on when backing up.

In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:51:10 -0400, Meanie
> wrote:

>On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:
>> The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
>> radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
>> stop that.
>>
>> If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
>> before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
>> ridiculous.
>>
>> The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
>> Honda.
>>
>> This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
>> up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
>> drove didn't do that.
>>
>> If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
>> Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
>> outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
>> matter.
>>

>Do you drive backwards? What's the amount of time you back up...? 15, 30
>seconds tops? You're seriously concerned about something important on
>the radio you need to stop for 30 seconds of backing up?

Do you ever listen to a serious discussion show, or anything other than
music? The loss of 20 seconds can distort or cloud everything the
person says.

>I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.

Don't be silly.

micky May 14th 19 08:55 PM

How to keep sound on when backing up.

In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:03:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:

>On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:
>> The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
>> radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
>> stop that.
>>
>> If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
>> before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
>> ridiculous.
>>
>> The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
>> Honda.
>>
>> This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
>> up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
>> drove didn't do that.
>>
>> If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
>> Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
>> outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
>> matter.
>>

>My car just reduces the sound, not turn it off.

That would probably be okay.

>You probably have to
>program the computer to change it, not user options for it.

I found the owners manual. It 's 600 pages!

It's a Honda Jazz, which is supposed to be the same a Fit.

Earlier, I tried to set the time, which was an hour off, an hour, 3
years and one month. I found "Time" but not how to set it. Then
connected the phone with bluetooth and the time became correct. Later
it was wrong again.

> Many cars
>now restrict the use of radio and navigation while in reverse.

I'm glad I learned about this on a rental car. I will remember to play
the radio while test-driving any car I buy in the future. I've only had
the car for a week and it's really annoying.

Why not ban the radio when going forward too! People spend a lot more
time going forward.

My 2000 Toyota solara convertible wouldn't let me put the top up or down
when the car was going more than about 3 mph. But I found the wire
from the body computer to the to the top relay and cut it. Same with
2005 Solara. I've had a power top that I could raise or lower when
moving for 50 years. But in any car I could buy, I don't think muting
the radio will be controlled by a wire I can cut.

According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
backs into a person.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] May 14th 19 09:44 PM

On 5/14/2019 3:55 PM, micky wrote:

> According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
> only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
> backs into a person.

I imagine those 10% are happy about it. Most cars have a terrible view
out the back. I love the camera in my car. I have a 10,2" screen and
gives the back, of course, but also a surround view. Some cars to have
crappy small viewing screens and probably are not that good.

Rod Speed[_1_] May 14th 19 11:13 PM

How to keep sound on when backing up.

Ed Pawlowski > wrote
> micky wrote

>> According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
>> only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
>> backs into a person.

> I imagine those 10% are happy about it.

Specially the ones that have avoided killing their little kids who have been
run over like that. I actually know one person who managed to do that.

> Most cars have a terrible view out the back.

Yeah, even when just backing an empty trailer that you can't actually see.

> I love the camera in my car. I have a 10,2" screen and gives the back, of
> course, but also a surround view.

Surprisingly few have a completely integrated set of cameras
that automatically show you the front and back corner of the
car that is closest to something when parking etc.

And which operate as 360 degree dashcams when driving
and 360 degree surveillance cameras when parked etc.

Frank May 14th 19 11:49 PM

On 5/14/2019 4:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/14/2019 3:55 PM, micky wrote:
>
>> According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
>> only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
>> backs into a person.
>>

> I imagine those 10% are happy about it. Most cars have a terrible view
> out the back.Â* I love the camera in my car. I have a 10,2" screen and
> gives the back, of course, but also a surround view.Â*Â* Some cars to have
> crappy small viewing screens and probably are not that good.

I have one and also an Eye Sight system which apparently has front and
rear emergency braking. Couple of weeks ago backing up in the Walmart
parking lot a woman darted in back of my car and a beep went off and car
appeared to slow down. It was disconcerting because my wife just
happened to call me at the time and the cell phone Blue Toothed to the
car also rang.

Using my separate GPS in the car for the first time, the radio stopped.
I don't know how it knew that the GPS was there but I found that the
radio had just turned itself way down and I probably could have used it
with the GPS on.

Sometimes you can tinker with the cars options to get the behavior that
you want.

Peeler[_2_] May 15th 19 12:03 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 15 May 2019 08:13:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Darn, you senile Ozzie cretin HAD to **** also in this thread! <tsk>

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID: >

Meanie[_3_] May 15th 19 03:53 AM

On 5/14/2019 3:44 PM, micky wrote:
> In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:51:10 -0400, Meanie
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:
>>> The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
>>> radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
>>> stop that.
>>>
>>> If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
>>> before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
>>> ridiculous.
>>>
>>> The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
>>> Honda.
>>>
>>> This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
>>> up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
>>> drove didn't do that.
>>>
>>> If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
>>> Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
>>> outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
>>> matter.
>>>

>> Do you drive backwards? What's the amount of time you back up...? 15, 30
>> seconds tops? You're seriously concerned about something important on
>> the radio you need to stop for 30 seconds of backing up?

> Do you ever listen to a serious discussion show, or anything other than
> music? The loss of 20 seconds can distort or cloud everything the
> person says.
>>
>> I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.

> Don't be silly.

LMAO! You're concerned about 20 second segment you "may" miss due to
backing up a car which I'm sure isn't often and you call me silly. LMAO!
That's funny.