AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=310792)

Chris[_6_] November 5th 08 12:01 PM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

Is a 5AT more fuel efficient than a 4AT, if we consider the same car?
If yes, in which road condition?
The number of RPM on a 5AT is different (lower) than a 4AT for the same
speed?

Thanks,
Chris

Elle[_4_] November 5th 08 02:40 PM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

What year and model are you talking about?

It really depends on other features of the engine and tranny
and driving needs.

www.fueleconomy.gov is a great resource for comparing fuel
efficiency of different years and models, especially since
individuals may now report their personal experiences with
fuel efficiency.

"Chris" > wrote

Dillon Pyron[_2_] November 6th 08 12:50 AM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

Thus spake "Chris" > :

>Is a 5AT more fuel efficient than a 4AT, if we consider the same car?
>If yes, in which road condition?
>The number of RPM on a 5AT is different (lower) than a 4AT for the same
>speed?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

In general, maybe. Look at the final drive ratio for the two cars.
The four speed may actually have a more fuel efficient top gear. The
problem is that you'll give up performance for this.

Chris[_6_] November 6th 08 05:28 PM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

Element 2004 - 4AT vs. Element 2005 - 5AT

jim beam November 8th 08 01:38 AM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 07:01:25 -0500, Chris wrote:

> Is a 5AT more fuel efficient than a 4AT, if we consider the same car? If
> yes, in which road condition?
> The number of RPM on a 5AT is different (lower) than a 4AT for the same
> speed?

depends how well the ratios are matched to the power/torque curves of the
engine. small differences in rpm's don't mean too much when it comes to
cruising economy - you can have lower rpm's but higher gas consumption if
the curves aren't a good match.

TE Chea November 13th 08 12:53 PM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

| >Is a 5AT more fuel efficient than a 4AT
mysterios deserve no info

| In general, maybe.
Often 5th / 6th gear is usable only on Germany's autobahn, &
unusable in most countries unless user can ignore speed limits.

Dillon Pyron[_2_] November 14th 08 03:17 AM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

Thus spake "TE Chea" > :

>| >Is a 5AT more fuel efficient than a 4AT
>mysterios deserve no info
>
>| In general, maybe.
>Often 5th / 6th gear is usable only on Germany's autobahn, &
>unusable in most countries unless user can ignore speed limits.

Incorrect. In my Fit, 5th lets me loaf along at around 3000 RPM and
65 mph. When I need to get around someone, it's usually because
they've dropped my speed below 60. So I drop to 4th whle signalling
and pulling out.

TE Chea November 14th 08 06:13 AM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

| 5th lets me loaf along at around 3000 RPM and 65 mph.
65 mph = 104.6 kph, @ this speed my SM4 ( final & 4th
gear combined ratio = 3.132335, axle height 30 cm via 205/
65R15 tyres, zero toe-in ) needs just 104.6 x 8750 ÷ 33 x
3.132335 ÷ 30 = 2895.8 rpm.
Either your 5th gear's ratio is too high, or axle ( tyre ) height
is low.

| I drop to 4th whle signalling and pulling out.
Sounds like a manual gearbox. Your gearbox is automatic ?

Dillon Pyron[_2_] November 16th 08 05:10 AM

4AT vs. 5AT fuel efficient

Thus spake "TE Chea" > :

>| 5th lets me loaf along at around 3000 RPM and 65 mph.
>65 mph = 104.6 kph, @ this speed my SM4 ( final & 4th
>gear combined ratio = 3.132335, axle height 30 cm via 205/
>65R15 tyres, zero toe-in ) needs just 104.6 x 8750 ÷ 33 x
>3.132335 ÷ 30 = 2895.8 rpm.
>Either your 5th gear's ratio is too high, or axle ( tyre ) height
>is low.
>
>| I drop to 4th whle signalling and pulling out.
>Sounds like a manual gearbox. Your gearbox is automatic ?

Manumatic. But my Civic was a manual and the same general effect
applied. It's just that I can now stand on while shifting and
signalling.