AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Which Walmart key for '98 jetta? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14216)

Richard Thomas October 21st 04 02:44 AM

Which Walmart key for '98 jetta?

I just bought a Jetta but it only came with the valet key. I took it
to Walmart and explained to the key cutting drone that I wanted a key
but that it would have a different profile than the key I was handing
him. He then proceeded to try to jam my key into each of the 'it's
this key' holes behind the counter and then handed it back to me
saying he didn't have a match. I asked him if he understood that the
key would be different and he said he did.

I'm not saying he was dumb but either way, there was some kind of
miscommunication going on and I don't have much patience for that so I
took my key and left (or rather continued shopping but that doesn't
sound as dramatic).

Does anyone know if Walmart can cut master keys for '98 Jettas and if
so, what number key blank to use?

Thanks

Rich
--
An animal so poor in spirit that he won't even fight on his own behalf
is already an evolutionary dead end; the best he can do for his breed

Biz October 21st 04 04:31 AM

"Richard Thomas" > wrote in message
> I just bought a Jetta but it only came with the valet key. I took it
> to Walmart and explained to the key cutting drone that I wanted a key
> but that it would have a different profile than the key I was handing
> him. He then proceeded to try to jam my key into each of the 'it's
> this key' holes behind the counter and then handed it back to me
> saying he didn't have a match. I asked him if he understood that the
> key would be different and he said he did.
>
> I'm not saying he was dumb but either way, there was some kind of
> miscommunication going on and I don't have much patience for that so I
> took my key and left (or rather continued shopping but that doesn't
> sound as dramatic).
>
> Does anyone know if Walmart can cut master keys for '98 Jettas and if
> so, what number key blank to use?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

I didint think anyone could cut master keys from the valet key? But what do
I know. I would have guessed a dealer would be the only source..

Tom's VR6 October 21st 04 04:59 AM

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Richard Thomas wrote:

>I just bought a Jetta but it only came with the valet key. I took it
>to Walmart and explained to the key cutting drone that I wanted a key
>but that it would have a different profile than the key I was handing
>him. He then proceeded to try to jam my key into each of the 'it's
>this key' holes behind the counter and then handed it back to me
>saying he didn't have a match. I asked him if he understood that the
>key would be different and he said he did.
>
>I'm not saying he was dumb but either way, there was some kind of
>miscommunication going on and I don't have much patience for that so I
>took my key and left (or rather continued shopping but that doesn't
>sound as dramatic).
>
>Does anyone know if Walmart can cut master keys for '98 Jettas and if
>so, what number key blank to use?

Access+ 43 for a '95.

I would not be surprised if it was the same in '98.

Perhaps you would have a better chance of getting the guy at Sears
to cut it onto a Cole AU8 [V35] [X139]

I am thinking you would want to align to the tips rather than to the
shoulders, but I am not sure.

Randolph October 21st 04 05:06 AM

As far as I know, the profile is the same for the valet key and the
master key. The difference is the length. I believe you can cut a master
key from a valet key, but you have to line up the tip of the blank with
the tip of the valet key. The way the machines are set up, the operators
will line up the shoulder of the blank with the shoulder of the
original, and you'll end up with a new valet key.

I have had good luck with Home Depot for cutting keys. They seem to have
a wide variety of blanks, even oddball ones.

Tom's VR6 October 21st 04 06:26 AM

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Randolph wrote:

>As far as I know, the profile is the same for the valet key and the
>master key. The difference is the length. I believe you can cut a master
>key from a valet key, but you have to line up the tip of the blank with
>the tip of the valet key. The way the machines are set up, the operators
>will line up the shoulder of the blank with the shoulder of the
>original, and you'll end up with a new valet key.

The cross section is different between the blanks too.

Your description of the alignment of the tips vs shoulder is what I
was attempting to say, but I was not sure.

dave October 21st 04 12:03 PM

I thought the valet key would not fit in the trunk and other "private" areas of
the vehicle.
Or maybe this is just on the older VWs and Audis.

Different key blanks IIRC.

So you all are saying that the valet keys will actually insert in the trunk
lock?

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Tom's VR6 October 21st 04 02:49 PM

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, dave wrote:

>I thought the valet key would not fit in the trunk and other "private" areas of
>the vehicle.
>Or maybe this is just on the older VWs and Audis.
>
>Different key blanks IIRC.

Yes. Different blanks.

>So you all are saying that the valet keys will actually insert in the trunk
>lock?

No. The cross section is different in that the valet key has more
metal in its cross section. It will not fit the trunk.

William Maslin October 21st 04 07:10 PM

In article >,
Richard Thomas > wrote:

> I just bought a Jetta but it only came with the valet key. I took it
> to Walmart and explained to the key cutting drone that I wanted a key
> but that it would have a different profile than the key I was handing
> him. He then proceeded to try to jam my key into each of the 'it's
> this key' holes behind the counter and then handed it back to me
> saying he didn't have a match. I asked him if he understood that the
> key would be different and he said he did.

I think your best bet would be to take the key to a locksmith. Our
local locksmith works out of a van but doesn't charge a service call if
you drive to wherever he's working at the moment (this is a small town).
The keys he cut for me work FAR better than any I have had cut at
hardware stores. And the key blanks seem to be stouter, too.

Alternatively, a VW dealer may be able to find out the key code and
perhaps even get you a key based on the car's VIN.

Bill

Richard Thomas October 21st 04 07:33 PM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:10:00 -0500, William Maslin
> wrote:

>I think your best bet would be to take the key to a locksmith. Our
>local locksmith works out of a van but doesn't charge a service call if
>you drive to wherever he's working at the moment (this is a small town).
>The keys he cut for me work FAR better than any I have had cut at
>hardware stores. And the key blanks seem to be stouter, too.

Bit wary of going to a locksmith as the local one charged me $10 for a
skeleton key for my interior house door locks and it didn't even need
cutting. That said, in this case, it will probably be worth it. Not
dissing Walmart employees but they're not going to be as up on things.

I'd buy an uncut remote blank off of ebay and get that cut but the
Jetta was an unscheduled purchase so have a moritorium on spending at
the moment (A spare key, particularly a master is essential though)

>Alternatively, a VW dealer may be able to find out the key code and
>perhaps even get you a key based on the car's VIN.

Found a place online but they wanted $60. Ouch. Maybe I should take up
that Locksmith correspondance course I once signed up for :D

BTW, to those who commented, yes, I did mean "cross section" when I
wrote "profile".

Interesting also to hear that the master is slightly different length
as the Walmart drone did show me a key which he said didn't match
cause of the length. That may well have been the one I needed then.

Thanks all.

Rich

Tom's VR6 October 21st 04 09:42 PM

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Richard Thomas wrote:

>Found a place online but they wanted $60. Ouch. Maybe I should take up
>that Locksmith correspondance course I once signed up for :D
>
>BTW, to those who commented, yes, I did mean "cross section" when I
>wrote "profile".
>
>Interesting also to hear that the master is slightly different length
>as the Walmart drone did show me a key which he said didn't match
>cause of the length. That may well have been the one I needed then.

How about Ouch-- a cheap elitist.