AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   battery replacement problems (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=178754)

[email protected] July 30th 07 02:13 AM

battery replacement problems

I have just replaced a dead battery in my 4cyl. 99 Passat , the check
engine light is on, and the car idles rough and of course I can't
drive it like that! I guess the memory has been erased! and I kind of
need it back.
Thanks

dave AKA vwdoc1 July 30th 07 03:50 AM

battery replacement problems '99 Passat 1.8t?

Lost its mind huh? ;-)

When you installed the battery did you turn the ign on and wait a couple of
minutes before starting the engine?
This might have performed a Throttle Body Alignment.
If you have a tool like the ross-tech.com one then
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/...lignment&go=Go

At least you need to know why the engine check light is on. ;-)
--
later,
dave

ups.com...

El Maximo July 30th 07 06:03 PM

battery replacement problems

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have just replaced a dead battery in my 4cyl. 99 Passat , the check
> engine light is on, and the car idles rough and of course I can't
> drive it like that! I guess the memory has been erased! and I kind of
> need it back.
> Thanks

"Warm the engine up. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Re-connect the
battery. Switch on the ignition for 15 seconds without starting the engine.
Then start the engine and leave it ticking over without using the throttle
for 5 minutes. Test drive it using various throttle openings for 15
minutes"

[email protected] August 1st 07 09:49 PM

On Jul 30, 12:03 pm, "El Maximo" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> >I have just replaced a dead battery in my 4cyl. 99 Passat , the check
> > engine light is on, and the car idles rough and of course I can't
> > drive it like that! I guess the memory has been erased! and I kind of
> > need it back.
> > Thanks

> "Warm the engine up. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Re-connect the
> battery. Switch on the ignition for 15 seconds without starting the engine.
> Then start the engine and leave it ticking over without using the throttle
> for 5 minutes. Test drive it using various throttle openings for 15
> minutes"

Anyone got a Bentley manual for this 99 Passat? Surely the procedure
for replacing a vehicle battery and getting all of the electronic
modules re-synched and initialized would be covered in that manual?