AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Offering extra services during routine maintenance (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=339027)

Eric O. October 17th 09 10:12 PM

Offering extra services during routine maintenance

A couple days ago, I took my 2009 VW Rabbit in for its 10,000 mile/1
year service, as recommended by the owner's manual. When I got there
and the service tech was looking at my car, he said that based on how
the tires looked (I don't remember the term he used), he thought my car
might need an alignment. I told him to go ahead if my car needs it.
When they were done with my car, they said it did need an alignment.
One of the documents they gave me was one of those sheets of paper
showing how the wheels were aligned before the alignment - so I feel
okay about having that done.

The 10K service was free under VW's warranty, but of course they charged
for the alignment. I'm wondering, does this seem questionable? All I
expected to have done was the 10K maintenance service. Should I expect
the Volkswagen dealership to always offer services beyond the routine
maintenance when I take my car there?

Eric

Noplacia[_2_] October 19th 09 09:22 PM

Offering extra services during routine maintenance

You should be able to see the tire wear for yourself. Is the tire
more worn on the inside or outside of the tread (feathering)? Was
there a noticeable pull when driving the car? Did the car drift off
to one direction when letting go of the wheel? Tire stores generally
charge about $70 for a four-way alignment on a front wheel drive
vehicle. I have a feeling you paid more than that...

Yes, you should expect the service writer to always recommend services
beyond the routine maintenance- service writers work on commission- if
you only have free warranty work done, they don't make a commission.

There's a reason why they call it the "stealership".

John[_28_] October 21st 09 10:05 AM

Offering extra services during routine maintenance

Our local blokes do the same. Every time you darken their door its the same
story , " we recommend an injector clean" for $100 Aus.. I mention its not
recommended by petrol manufacturers and doesnt appear in service book and
they might just know more than the accountant cove trying to meet his budget
performance.
I,ve asked and its an additive into the tank, just like the $10 bottle at
Supercheap.