Showing results 1 to 25 of 54
Search took 3.58 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Fred Mann
Forum: VW water cooled August 17th 07, 04:38 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 7
Posted By Fred Mann
Replacing my alternator brushes

I got a new battery, and it turns out there's nothing wrong with the
alternator after all. Just an old battery. I guess I got my two rabbits
confused.
But thanks to everyone for the help (again)....
Forum: VW water cooled August 15th 07, 04:19 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 7
Posted By Fred Mann
Replacing my alternator brushes

I was told by the local battery place last year that the alternator on my
'83 Rabbit GTI was not putting out enough juice. I'd been driving it
semi-regularly since then (charging the battery with a...
Forum: VW water cooled August 8th 07, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 13
Posted By Fred Mann
Testing Fuel Pump Relay?

Thanks. I already order a new one. The old one would kick in but only for a
few seconds. Not sure why. I took it apart and was surprised how much stuff
they packed in there. Anyway, let's hope the...
Forum: VW water cooled August 8th 07, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 13
Posted By Fred Mann
Testing Fuel Pump Relay?

Thanks. I already order a new one. The old one would kick in but only for a
few seconds. Not sure why. I took it apart and was surprised how much stuff
they packed in there. Anyway, let's hope the...
Forum: VW water cooled August 8th 07, 05:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 13
Posted By Fred Mann
Testing Fuel Pump Relay?

Thanks Jim. Advance Auto wanted 40 or 50 bucks (depending on whether it was
made in Germany or not).
I did the jump and the pump worked. I also tested terminal 15 on the relay
socket for power when...
Forum: VW water cooled August 8th 07, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 13
Posted By Fred Mann
Testing Fuel Pump Relay?

Is there a way to test the fuel pump relay for the 83 Rabit GTI? They're
kinda expensive. The part number is 433 906 059 .
Thanks,
Fred
Forum: VW water cooled August 6th 07, 09:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Fred Mann
Intermittent spark on '79 Rabbit

Thanks again Jim and Dave.
Strange that this little tidbit isn't in the Bentley manual. Well now it's
on the interweb.
Unfortunately, I'll be back soon.
Fred

"dave AKA vwdoc1" >...
Forum: VW water cooled August 6th 07, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Fred Mann
Intermittent spark on '79 Rabbit

You win, Dave!!
It was the condenser. The ground was weak. When I jammed a screwdriver
between the condenser and the distributor, the engine perked right up. Very
exciting!!
So I just cleaned off the...
Forum: VW water cooled August 3rd 07, 01:57 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Fred Mann
Intermittent spark on '79 Rabbit

Well, back to the old rabbit. I need to replace the timing belt on my 83
rabbit, so I need to get the 79 Rabbit up and running.
Anyway, I was using the Bentley manual to diagnose the problem (no...
Forum: VW water cooled July 26th 07, 04:16 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
FIXED?!?!

"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:13:12 -0400, "Fred Mann"
Forum: Technology July 22nd 07, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 33
Posted By Fred Mann
Fixed?!?!

Well, it appears that timing was the main issue, so I adjusted it by trial
and error since there are no marks on the wheel or a pointer in the timing
hole. Anyway, I'm at about 85% full-power now....
Forum: VW water cooled July 22nd 07, 01:13 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
FIXED?!?!

"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:49:13 -0700, "Matt B." >
Forum: VW water cooled July 17th 07, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

Well, I finally got my catalytic converter all the way off. I had to cut the
screws off with a dremel. Anyway, it's completely hollow. I'm not sure if
it's supposed to be like that. My concern is...
Forum: Technology July 17th 07, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 33
Posted By Fred Mann
Backfires damaged SOMETHING ....

Well, I finally got my catalytic converter all the way off. I had to cut the
screws off with a dremel. Anyway, it's completely hollow. I'm not sure if
it's supposed to be like that. My concern is...
Forum: VW water cooled July 12th 07, 02:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

PS -- I have not replaced the plugs, but I have replaced cap, rotor and
wires. One
of the towers on my newish rotor already had some damage -- pretty heavy
carbon deposits, and what appear to be a...
Forum: Technology July 12th 07, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 33
Posted By Fred Mann
Backfires damaged SOMETHING ....

Compression test results:
I removed all plugs, put the pedal to the metal and cranked the engine. The
results were nearly identical for each cylinder.
First crank was roughly 95-100 PSI for each...
Forum: VW water cooled July 12th 07, 02:23 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

Compression test results:
I removed all plugs, put the pedal to the metal and cranked the engine. The
results were nearly identical for each cylinder.
First crank was roughly 95-100 PSI for each...
Forum: VW water cooled July 11th 07, 09:08 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

I'm going to check timing first since it should be easiest. BUT there is no
mark OR pointer. (I removed the plastic plug) I think I have found TDC on
piston 1 using the techniques above, but I still...
Forum: VW water cooled July 10th 07, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

Also, can I use my Matco oil pressure tester guage to do a compression test?
Forum: VW water cooled July 10th 07, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

I don't know what a leak-down test is and I haven't done a compression test.
Do I need to do both?
Also, I can't seem to find the timing marks anywhere. I looked inside the
port that is on the bell...
Forum: VW water cooled July 9th 07, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

PS -- I have zero experience working with valves, pistons, etc.
Forum: Technology July 9th 07, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 33
Posted By Fred Mann
Backfires damaged SOMETHING ....

Well, I tested the car with the converter off. It still lacks power.
I suppose there could be a fragment of gasket in the manifold, or perhaps
the leak around #2 piston manifold connection is causing...
Forum: VW water cooled July 9th 07, 09:41 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

Well, I tested the car with the converter off. It still lacks power.
I suppose there could be a fragment of gasket in the manifold, or perhaps
the leak around #2 piston manifold connection is causing...
Forum: VW water cooled July 8th 07, 01:14 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 45
Posted By Fred Mann
Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 17:48:30 -0400, "Fred Mann"
Forum: Technology July 7th 07, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 33
Posted By Fred Mann
Backfires damaged SOMETHING ....

Well, I got up under the car with the engine running. There is definitely a
leak/hole around the exhaust manifold between the #1 and #2 "tubes". This
probably explains all the noise (right?), and...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 54