Showing results 1 to 25 of 292
Search took 0.46 seconds.
Forum: Audi June 5th 09, 01:16 AM Posted to alt.autos.audi
Replies: 0
Posted By [email protected]
Has anyone changed ATF in Q7 (ZF 6HP)?

Just wondering if anyone has done this?
Forum: Technology June 5th 09, 01:14 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By [email protected]
Tire question

LOL. Avalons smoking tires. That's a good one.

On Jun 4, 2:17*pm, "HLS" > wrote:
> >Do you like to smoke the tires when pulling away from the *light?
> >Wait, I take that last...
Forum: Technology June 5th 09, 01:13 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By [email protected]
Tire question

That's right. The Michelin Primacy at Costco is about $125 w/
installation. And these have a 600 tread rating (approx 60K miles)
with a 60K mile warranty. And if people are saying the...
Forum: Technology June 1st 09, 01:55 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By [email protected]
Tire question

Only Michelin runs on the world's fastest production cars (>250MPH
Bugatti Veyron) and they came up with an aviation tire solution after
the Concord accident in Paris that every other company is now...
Forum: Technology June 1st 09, 01:47 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By [email protected]
Tire question

And does GoodYear. Conti and Perelli didn't list them.

The advantage at Costco is you also get free balancing. As the tires
lose material, the weight distribution may change. Hunter Wheel
Balancers...
Forum: Technology May 31st 09, 03:13 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

First of all, a good mechanic/shop is hard to find. Your experience
isn't alone.

If you can rule out electrical or mechanical issues and are sure that
the cause is a leak (and therefore low...
Forum: Technology May 30th 09, 04:57 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By [email protected]
Tire question

I don't know what inexpensive non-directional radial tires Toyota is
using these days to not like crossed rotation. However, Costco
mentioned that if crossing you may experience more noise problems,...
Forum: Technology May 30th 09, 04:45 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

Look under the hood. There should be a sticker telling you exactly
what type of refrigerant you have. 94 is during the transition time
between R12 and 134a. So check to make sure.

You should not be...
Forum: Technology May 30th 09, 04:43 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

Around 1995 or so Toyota issued a total recall for all expansion
valves used because of corrosion and leaks. Did you ever have that
valve replaced free under the recall?

I suspect the later valves...
Forum: Audi May 11th 09, 05:51 AM Posted to alt.autos.audi
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
Do New Brake Pads Require a New Rotor

I recall reading something about the rotors have to last a certain
percentage longer than the pads in TUV (?) tests. Something like 25%.
Couldn't find it at the moment.

If that's the case it's best...
Forum: Honda May 9th 09, 06:07 PM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By [email protected]
U.S. $3500-4500 cash for clunkers program

AKA Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save program.

Now I don't see the < 18 mpg requirement on the Sutton page:
http://sutton.house.gov/news/story.cfm?id=218

Looks like there are different...
Forum: Honda May 9th 09, 05:55 PM Posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By [email protected]
U.S. $3500-4500 cash for clunkers program

I think this is only for >10 year old cars/trucks?

"Under the so-called cash-for-clunkers legislation, consumers with
old, gas guzzlers could get $3,500 or $4,500 in government vouchers to
use...
Forum: Honda May 1st 09, 07:20 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 17
Posted By [email protected]
2009 CR-V Navigation System

No. Honda stopped using Alpine probably a decade ago. They went cheap
with the Panasonic/Matsu****a unit. Remember the CD player PE-0 error?
Real stinkers. Then they went Pioneer. And from this...
Forum: General April 30th 09, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 121
Posted By [email protected]
automatic transmission failure question

You would think car companies want to keep their customers "coming
back"? Maybe that's why some do well and others are staring bankruptcy
in the eye.

On Apr 28, 8:51*pm, jim beam...
Forum: Honda April 30th 09, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 17
Posted By [email protected]
2009 CR-V Navigation System

So can you drive a Honda to a BMW dealer and have them install a
Garmin? ;)

On Apr 28, 4:01*am, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
wrote:
> dash. *(I remember that BMW also did this for...
Forum: Honda April 30th 09, 01:41 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 17
Posted By [email protected]
2009 CR-V Navigation System

Yeah, Garmin Nuvi is a great unit. Honda's been known to use Panasonic
or Pioneer head units, if so it's probably some cheap and slow unit
(for example, Time-To-First-Fix etc), not a Garmin.

On Apr...
Forum: Honda April 30th 09, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 17
Posted By [email protected]
2009 CR-V Navigation System

OEM systems have the integrated look and function that an aftermarket
unit can't match. But in terms of accuracy, routing, and map car
companies usually go for the cheapest bidder. So you really have...
Forum: Audi April 27th 09, 01:00 AM Posted to alt.autos.audi
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Tyre balancing...

Sure they go up to 300 RPM, and can resolve imbalances to 0.5g. So
it's not how fast they can go, but how accurately they can measure.

Hunter Engineering -- why would you want anything...
Forum: General April 27th 09, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 121
Posted By [email protected]
automatic transmission failure question

You are so right!!

On Apr 26, 2:51*pm, "E. Meyer" > wrote:
> It sounds like you're not familiar with Honda Automatics of that generation.
>
> There is no filter, no pan, just a...
Forum: General April 27th 09, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 121
Posted By [email protected]
automatic transmission failure question

No, Honda automatics do *not* have have replaceable strainers that you
just replace "after dropping the pan".

The transmission case is basically two halves of an egg shell, and
requires major work...
Forum: General April 26th 09, 02:42 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 121
Posted By [email protected]
automatic transmission failure question

Ditto. 280K miles (?) is actually pretty good. Honda's automatics are
said to be as mediocre as Hyundai transmissions as far as reliability
goes I read somewhere.

On Apr 25, 5:46*pm,...
Forum: General April 26th 09, 02:39 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 121
Posted By [email protected]
automatic transmission failure question

Besides checking what Scott said as far as mechanical linkage goes
(when you shift, does the cable on the transmission end shifts too?),
you might just want to plug in an oil pressure gauge and read...
Forum: Audi April 25th 09, 04:39 AM Posted to alt.autos.audi
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
Audi A6 quattro 95 AT.

I'd prefer the ZF over the Aisin VW is putting into the Audis these
days. Anyway, a good mechanic is always hard to find, even at the
dealer.

As far as the cold-start noise goes, it's hard to tell...
Forum: VW water cooled April 24th 09, 03:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
2000 Passat V6 Water Temp

The proper way to test a thermostat would be to measure the valve rise
height in hot water as it reaches operating temperature.

However, you may be able to quickly test by feeling for warm...
Forum: Honda April 22nd 09, 04:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Anyone replace their Accord condenser fan without removingradiator?

Usually the brushes wear out and early too, because Honda's design it
almost always runs (climate control). You open that sucker up and the
black powder is all over the place. Must be what's left of...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 292