Showing results 1 to 25 of 36
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Henderson
Forum: VW air cooled July 30th 11, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By John Henderson
should I go work for VWoA?

DogDiesel wrote:

> "Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
>>
>> Not a good match, but I have a lead for a job with VWoA /...
Forum: VW air cooled June 14th 11, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By John Henderson
'bench starting' a newly rebuilt engine

Mel P. wrote:

> I FINALLY finished rebuilding a 66, 6 volt engine. Did the whole split case
> thing. Converted it to a 12 volt. Changed the camshaft and flywheel,
> bearings...
> Gapped the...
Forum: VW air cooled May 21st 11, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By John Henderson
anyone seen my 13mm wrench?

David Gravereaux wrote:

> I just put it down... It's around here somewhere.

Reminds me of the time I lost mine without realizing it.

I found it when I was out in the boondocks with a freshly...
Forum: VW air cooled May 11th 11, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By John Henderson
Won't Start

FC Bill wrote:

> The problem is electrical

Do you hear the starter solenoid engage (a heavy clunk) when the
key is turned to start?

John
Forum: VW air cooled May 10th 11, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By John Henderson
Won't Start

FC Bill wrote:

> Looking for ideas. I removed my engine from my 69 bus and following
> the instillation I find that the motor won't start, the starter won't
> even turn over. I check the...
Forum: VW air cooled March 10th 11, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By John Henderson
Carby bearings

Tuomas wrote:

> Many bearings and axles ( like gas flap axle) are originally desiged to be
> lubricated by small amount of lead in fuel. (Like valve stems and valves.)
>
> It's very minimal...
Forum: VW air cooled March 9th 11, 08:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By John Henderson
Carby bearings

John wrote:

> I,ve noticed that now I have to fairly regularly work a bit of oil into the
> choke pivots or the chokes seize up on my T3. About every 6 months, not a
> big deal. Just get some...
Forum: VW air cooled March 4th 11, 05:02 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By John Henderson
distributor problem again

Bill wrote:

> Do you recall if the dist. from the Industrial engine was a version of
> the 009 or did it give more overall advance?

No idea sorry. I've not had a 009 myself. And my
brother-in-law...
Forum: VW air cooled March 4th 11, 01:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By John Henderson
distributor problem again

Bill wrote:

> Understood, however since the vacuum advance port is above the
> butterfly It's the transition from high vacuum (intake manifold ) to
> atmospheric pressure which allows a momentary...
Forum: VW air cooled March 3rd 11, 08:09 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By John Henderson
distributor problem again

Bill wrote:

>> Note that there will be greater vacuum at partial throttle than
>> while accelerating.
> John
>
> Explain?

For a given RPM, the inlet manifold vacuum is greatest with the
throttle...
Forum: VW air cooled February 28th 11, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By John Henderson
distributor problem again

Steven Rogers wrote:

> Once again my distributor problem is back. I seem to accelerate ok but
> steady speed driving and the engine coughs and sputters. Disconnecting
> the vacuum line to the...
Forum: VW air cooled February 27th 11, 08:16 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By John Henderson
distributor problem again

Steven Rogers wrote:

> Once again my distributor problem is back. I seem to accelerate ok but
> steady speed driving and the engine coughs and sputters. Disconnecting
> the vacuum line to the...
Forum: VW air cooled January 18th 11, 07:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 11
Posted By John Henderson
What Is the Best Fuel Pump for Ethanol Gas?

Jim Ed wrote:

> What could it be?

Another common point of failure is the set of valves (controlling
the direction of fuel flow - tank to carby) built in to the
fuel pump upper body.

The upper fuel...
Forum: VW air cooled January 18th 11, 09:19 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Jim Ed wrote:

> Then later on I plan to inspect or replace the pushrod once a year and
> replace the fuel pump every 3 to 5 years.

If the pushrod doesn't last, it's poor quality. I'd...
Forum: VW air cooled January 16th 11, 07:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I wrote:

> 2.8 psi maximum delivery pressure for models from 1960 to 1968
> according to my 1968 "Without Guesswork". Older engines had a
> lower maximum (1.8 or 2.5 psi).

I found a 1972 copy of...
Forum: VW air cooled January 16th 11, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Jim Ed wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong. Fuel pump pressure should be 3.5 to 5
> p.s.i.?

2.8 psi maximum delivery pressure for models from 1960 to 1968
according to my 1968 "Without Guesswork"....
Forum: VW air cooled January 8th 11, 07:57 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By John Henderson
Rear Hubs - guess everything eventually wears out

G_Group wrote:

> I was tightening up the rear brakes of my semi-daily driver yesterday
> ('65 Beetle) and was disappointed to see that both sides were nice and
> wet. Yep, the hubs are AGAIN...
Forum: VW air cooled December 7th 10, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By John Henderson
1300 vs. 1500

DogDiesel wrote:

> Somebody commented they like pre 66 bugs better. What happened to bugs in
> 67 .

And I forgot to mention the use of ball joints on later models
instead of the king and link...
Forum: VW air cooled December 7th 10, 07:59 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By John Henderson
1300 vs. 1500

DogDiesel wrote:

> Somebody commented they like pre 66 bugs better. What happened to bugs in
> 67 .

They got much better from around then in my opinion.

With 12V electrics, you could at last...
Forum: VW water cooled November 1st 10, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 11
Posted By John Henderson
breaking problems

barry wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I was breaking up after I read that I replied with "break" instead
> of "brake". I didn't do it on purpose, it just happened, sorry.
>
> Thanks for the correction...
Forum: VW water cooled September 30th 10, 09:14 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 9
Posted By John Henderson
90 Jetta, won't start in rain.

Irv wrote:

> Hey thanks again I cleaned the wires, tops of plugs sites where wires
> connect, inside cap... she runs. Tomorrows a monsoon and I'm pretty
> sure she'll be fine. I let my wife know...
Forum: VW water cooled September 29th 10, 09:34 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 9
Posted By John Henderson
90 Jetta, won't start in rain.

IRv wrote:

> Changed coil, covered hood vent, put weatherstripping between
> hood and body at firewall area. Been covering most of it
> with a tarp in rainy condx. I swapped computers, a third coil...
Forum: VW air cooled September 23rd 10, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By John Henderson
Engine tin question.

DogDiesel wrote:

> Can you drive a bug with the engine tins not installed. Say 6 hours freeway.

You run a very real risk of seizing up a piston or a big end
bearing. From overheating.

I've done...
Forum: VW air cooled August 7th 10, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 18
Posted By John Henderson
Plugs and wipers

John wrote:

> Re the .10 in and .15 out. I,ve usually set my valve clearances down to 8
> thou with engine dead cold. Too tight you think?. I seem to recall
> somewhere that VW dropped it down to...
Forum: VW air cooled July 20th 10, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 21
Posted By John Henderson
stuck in first -- what do you think?

griff wrote:

> Downshifting on a hill yesterday my bug stalled. Clutch in, she
> started up no problem but its now stuck in first. Limped home at 8mph.
>
> Did my due diligence in the Bentley manual...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 36