Showing results 1 to 25 of 201
Search took 4.13 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Stupendous Man
Forum: VW water cooled July 25th 09, 08:48 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Stupendous Man
82 shifting problems

"
> Could be a slide mis alignment of the linkage. Adjust it one notch to
> either side and see if it helps..

Not that, you can feel it hit the synchro and not go in, and the shifter
linkages can...
Forum: VW water cooled July 24th 09, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 13
Posted By Stupendous Man
Squeaking Noise VW Golf III 1992 1.4 ltr 158,000 km

Bad stuff, works by softening rubber. Slings onto hoses, timing belt, and
engine mounts. Repeated use can get far more costly than proper repair.
I prefer to use...
Forum: VW water cooled July 24th 09, 06:29 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Stupendous Man
82 shifting problems

I have an 82 jetta diesel with 5 speed gearbox. It is having problems
getting into 1st gear, seems to be a stuck synchro problem rather than
linkage. Linkage is fine with 2 year-old bushings.
I...
Forum: Jeep November 9th 08, 04:10 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 3
Posted By Stupendous Man
New Winch on Wenches

>Brake line locks are not for me, I have seen several fail when used
>for long periods and besides they cost $$

A line lock is not a substitute for a parking brake, and tires cost too much
to do...
Forum: Jeep November 9th 08, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 3
Posted By Stupendous Man
New Winch on Wenches

I destroyed a front driveshaft winching out a snowplow when i had good
traction. I have acquired a set of line-locks for the next rebuild.
Forum: VW air cooled October 30th 08, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By Stupendous Man
A VW tattoe?

If you can't spell it, you don't need it.
Forum: Jeep October 15th 08, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 33
Posted By Stupendous Man
Just looking in

"Jeep America #1" > wrote in message
> and im sure you were just satisfied to sit back and let 24wuss and his
> thugs almost ruin...
Forum: Jeep October 14th 08, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 33
Posted By Stupendous Man
Just looking in

Hi Matt.
Havent done much jeepster building here, been building motorcycles and going
on road trips all summer.
--
Stupendous Man,
Forum: Jeep October 14th 08, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> no thanks to you maybe if you would of helped fight against the trolls
> instaed of bending over and grabbing your ankles

Bull****. You can't "fight" trolls unless you know where they live. Every...
Forum: VW air cooled September 17th 08, 07:56 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 23
Posted By Stupendous Man
Parts Made In China, Are They OK To Use?

>> > Then I began to list the foreign parts on his Harley.

My Honda goldwing has a higher percentage of American made parts than a new
Harley.

I bought a lot of welding equipment. In it was two...
Forum: VW air cooled September 15th 08, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 23
Posted By Stupendous Man
Parts Made In China, Are They OK To Use?

> Brakes aren't something you want to take a chance on!!!!!!

I tried to get a thermostat for my Mercedes 300TD wagon locally. We have
Kragen and Napa in this county. Both had it in stock,...
Forum: VW air cooled September 15th 08, 06:51 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Stupendous Man
Mileage, 411 Type 2 bubbletop?

Any idea what kind of mileage should be expected from a 77 2.0L type 2 with
the high fiberglass bubbletop?
I may have to give my class A motorhome a mercy killing.
--
Stupendous Man,
Defender of...

FYI, finally had time to look at it, easy fix. PO had installed a new head
temp sensor, left it loose. No ground. Took 1/2 hour to diagnose and repair.
Runs so good I may have to keep it.
Forum: Jeep September 10th 08, 07:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 4
Posted By Stupendous Man
pics from beartooth pass

Beartooth is great on a bike. Riding up from Red Lodge reminds me of
Switzerland. Lots of great stuff around there, the Buffalo Bill museum in
Cody, aircraft junkyard in Graybull.
--
Stupendous...
Forum: Jeep September 6th 08, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

>> Humm, I'll have to take a look. Anyone have experience with the Trico
>> Teflon ones?

My sister swears by them, she lived in Alaska for a few years. I have
different conditions here in the...
Forum: VW air cooled August 25th 08, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By Stupendous Man
can a head 'boss' be repaired?

I have the equipment to do it, but would still just buy another. That's a
weird stress fracture, and the other bosses may be next.
Forum: VW air cooled August 22nd 08, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By Stupendous Man
Help with FI.

Hi, I am asking for some help diagnosing a fuel injection problem. I havent
worked on this system in many years and have a slow leak in my head.
77 type 2, 2 Liter engine, dragged it home after PO...
Forum: VW air cooled June 24th 08, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By Stupendous Man
Fuel Line Question

> Aluminum fuel line is especially ductile - made for bending without
> kinking. Good stuff.

I used aluminum on the F-2 cars I am building, but they are not for street
use and will have fluid...
Forum: Jeep June 23rd 08, 01:57 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 7
Posted By Stupendous Man
Gasoline Question (not Jeep specific but you guys would know).

> it's just too much of a pain in the butt and I don't have one of
> those nifty water seperators like they had on the old tractors.

The Harley?
Forum: VW air cooled June 22nd 08, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 23
Posted By Stupendous Man
Frankenbug

Wood frames were unusual, but wood framed bodies were common until the mid
30s when Budd improved sheet metal stamping machines.
Here are shots of a 1925 Studebaker school bus that we recently...
Forum: VW air cooled June 21st 08, 02:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 23
Posted By Stupendous Man
Frankenbug

>> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=617357
>>
>> Hidously cool

Hideously slow. I rebuilt an engine for one of those back in 1980 or so.
Poor thing could barely move and ran...
Forum: VW air cooled June 20th 08, 01:48 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 28
Posted By Stupendous Man
FA; My "near the barn" find

Sold and on it's way to England.
Now to resurrect a 77 bubbletop camper
Forum: VW air cooled June 17th 08, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 28
Posted By Stupendous Man
FA; My "near the barn" find

> In front of the engine. Front is front.

So if you are driving and it springs a leak it somehow avoids the exhaust
system?
Forum: Jeep June 15th 08, 08:30 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 10
Posted By Stupendous Man
Upgrade Jeep or commuter bike?

Add $1000+ for decent riding gear. Add the high risk factor of commuting in
traffic. Add the cost of insurance, registration, $300 for tires every year.
Ignore the fact of better mileage because you...
Forum: VW air cooled June 15th 08, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 28
Posted By Stupendous Man
FA; My "near the barn" find

>John was refering to just the gas filter not torching the bus.
>Gas filters in the engine compartment is not a good thing on a VW.

Where would you put one on a type 2 that won't leak onto the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 201