Showing results 1 to 25 of 31
Search took 1.39 seconds.
Forum: VW air cooled May 18th 13, 09:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 38
Posted By [email protected]
Beetle/bug Pickup project

> wrote:
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1459789

Wow, they did a great job on the body, IMO. :)
(it don't look "hacked")

Alvin in AZ
Forum: VW air cooled May 18th 13, 03:28 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 38
Posted By [email protected]
What did you do to your VW today?

Bill Leary > wrote:
> > ...not a classic in any way.
>
> ...my 26 year old Scirocco 16V will respectfully disagree with that.

Worked on my '75 "Dent Side" Ford pickup today, it's...
Forum: VW air cooled May 14th 13, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
6V to 12 conversion q.

Bill Leary > wrote:
> > That would have been kind of "exiting" if the magnesium shavings
> > would've caught fire inside your vacuum cleaner. ;)

> Exciting? I suppose so. I...
Forum: VW air cooled May 10th 13, 07:43 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
6V to 12 conversion q.

Bill Leary > wrote:
> > ...put an old Bus-axle in it. It wouldn't want to wheelie when
> > climbing a hill {...} like a Bug-axle will.
>
> Those were the ones with the reduction...
Forum: VW air cooled May 9th 13, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
6V to 12 conversion q.

> And, besides, I didn't want to use a swing axle rear suspension
> for a buggy. Anyway, I never did it.

The trick was to use the swing axle actually but put an old Bus-axle
in it. It wouldn't...
Forum: VW air cooled May 8th 13, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
6V to 12 conversion q.

Bill Leary > wrote:
> > Something I always wanted to do was re-wind/re-wire
> > a 6v generator to make enough voltage to charge a
> > 12v battery.
>
> To each his own, I guess. ...
Forum: Technology May 8th 13, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
Replies: 63
Posted By [email protected]
HP, 60 mph, level ground

In rec.crafts.metalworking Existential Angst > wrote:
> Oh, yeah, the *increase* from the lower number to the higher
> number is always a more dramatic number.
> ..."40% more...
Forum: VW air cooled May 8th 13, 05:24 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 13
Posted By [email protected]
6V to 12 conversion q.

> I have to wonder if your bigger problem isn't going to
> be a 12V generator.
> - Bill

x2 :)

Something I always wanted to do was re-wind/re-wire a 6v
generator to make enough voltage to...
Forum: VW air cooled April 29th 13, 02:06 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 15
Posted By [email protected]
swing axle nuts - Guru advice appreciated.

Am I remembering it right?
Did VW say 345ft-lbs?
Am I thinking of the flywheel's gland nut? LOL :)

> On 28/04/13 11:19, KWW wrote:
>> But the whole point of Ft-lbs of torque is the force that is...
Forum: VW air cooled April 28th 13, 08:31 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
My odometer has lost its mind!

> just can't picture - visualizing the odo gears - how it can turn a
> tens place at the wrong time. There's only one tooth on each wheel
> to turn the next one.
> Chris

All I can think of right...
Forum: VW air cooled April 28th 13, 08:17 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 15
Posted By [email protected]
swing axle nuts - Guru advice appreciated.

> Stood on it about 3' out,...
> Chris

A measly 3 feet? LOL :)

I'm telling you that simply ain't enough, ok? :)

BTSeenT, no kidding, 3 feet is not enough.

6 feet is more like it. :)
Forum: VW air cooled April 27th 13, 06:50 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Beutler Sports Car

Bill Berckman > wrote:
> I was reading a book...

Bill B., you can read? 8-/

xD

You still got your '67 bug? :)

Alvin in AZ
Forum: VW air cooled April 27th 13, 06:34 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

tricky > wrote:
> I'm no guru, but you might try new axle nuts.
> I have found when things wont stay tight, new ones will.
> Richard

Yep, I know what you mean I...
Forum: VW air cooled June 6th 07, 10:47 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Liability for labour on faulty clutch

Balders > wrote:
> But can anyone help out the guy with their observations?

My observation has been... pay someone else to do something and
you'll end up...
Forum: VW air cooled June 1st 07, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Trouble starting type 1 - 73 Super Beetle Conv.

compwrench > wrote:
> > And the idea's so good... it was worth repeating too. ;)
> Sorry! Google groups kept telling me...

Oh heck, didn't mean for you to apologise. :)
GUI...
Forum: VW air cooled May 30th 07, 08:43 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Trouble starting type 1 - 73 Super Beetle Conv.

> If I'm not mistaken, there's also a small vacuum diaphragm near
> the choke that opens the choke slightly when the engine starts.
> That could be leaking or stuck.
> Scott S.

And the idea's so...
Forum: VW air cooled May 29th 07, 08:46 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
Barrels to engine case - sealant or gasket?

> Do not use Hylomar in the head side of the cylinder. You shouldn't
> need anything there, if the surfaces are true and smooth. Just
> metal against metal. I sometimes use that Mahle sealant there...
Forum: VW air cooled May 29th 07, 08:37 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
Just joining the group

John Boy > wrote:
> Speedy Jim wrote:
> > Welcome. Yes, the group tries to be friendly and helpful.
> Speak for yourself. Now if a person was rebuilding a classic Bug,
> that...
Forum: VW air cooled May 28th 07, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
Just joining the group

John Ahnen > wrote:
> We bought a '72 super beetle that needs some work and my wife
> wants to restore it to the point where it is reliable.
> John

Cool, just returned here...
Forum: VW air cooled May 28th 07, 01:44 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
Bench Bleeding revisited

> ONLY 25 is good enough for me!

They've got me beat by about double. :)

But I've got a Ford pickup that...
"absolutely without a doubt has to be bench bled" -everybody

I've put 3 or 4 on it over...
Forum: VW air cooled May 28th 07, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
Fuel Filter location

> The bursting issue is not the worst of your worries, it's the
> added unsuspended weight of a filter full of fuel, flopping around
> in the engine bay, that is sending tugs and jerks up the hose...
Forum: VW air cooled May 28th 07, 01:02 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By [email protected]
bought a new camshaft for my 77 2.0L Westie...what is it?

John Boy > wrote:
> > bought a new camshaft for my 77 2.0L Westie...what is it?
> Amazing. Why did you buy it if you don't know WTF it is?

Because he's going to -make- it work....
Forum: VW air cooled May 27th 07, 09:28 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Had to break out the power tools already.

Shag > wrote:
> Hmm... Tough crowd or has it just gotten quiet around here?
> All I did was clean up the rear aftermarket bumper some with a
> wire wheel on my...
Forum: VW air cooled May 26th 07, 12:37 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Had to break out the power tools already.

> > Hmm... Tough crowd or has it just gotten quiet around here?
> > All I did was clean up the rear aftermarket bumper some with a
> > wire wheel on my drill and then spray some of that chrome...
Forum: VW air cooled May 26th 07, 12:31 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
6 minute pull?

Does a dunebuggy count? ;)
....with a metal "milk crate" ready to set the engine on.

Alvin in AZ
Showing results 1 to 25 of 31