Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John_H
Forum: Technology March 17th 21, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By John_H
graphite in the rear diff??

Chas Gantz wrote:

>Has anyone ever heard of this? We just had a guy come into the store and ask for some. He says it quiets the rear down if it's noisy.
>
>I've been in the parts business for...
Forum: Technology March 7th 20, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By John_H
Hard or soft braking

The Real Bev wrote:

>I recently read (don't ask me where, it was a couple of months ago) that
>brakes last longer with harder+shorter pressure than with softer+longer
>pressure. Opinions?

The...
Forum: Technology December 31st 19, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By John_H
Why does the torque & power curve always cross at the same point?

delvon daily wrote:
>John_H wrote:
>
>> The commonly used formula is HP equals torque in ft-lb x rpm divided
>> by 5,252, in which case the lines will cross at 5,252 rpm.
>
>Thanks for explaining one...
Forum: Technology December 25th 19, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech

delvon daily wrote:

>A friend told me that the torque and power curve on all cars crosses at the
>same point but I don't get why.
>
>Can you explain it in simple sentences?

It's a mathematical...
Forum: Technology August 11th 18, 10:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By John_H
ignition hard to turn

Tim R wrote:

>It's an older Chevy. Occasionally the key didn't want to turn, but enough jiggling and I could get it to start.
>
>Now it's every time, and I'm never sure I'll get it.
>
>Would...
Forum: Technology April 20th 17, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By John_H
bolt/nut grades

wrote:

>I have to replace an M14 class 10.9 (SAE grade 8, AIUI). I can get
>the bolt locally. But, at the same store, or anywhere ex online, the
>highest grade nut available is...
Forum: Technology December 6th 16, 10:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 72
Posted By John_H
What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

Leon Schneider wrote:

>What size nut goes onto a typical US passenger tire Schrader valve?

It doesn't exist commercially but if you really want to go that way
Schrader thread taps are available...
Forum: Technology December 19th 06, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By John_H
calculate diesel fuel consumption

Florian Schaeffer wrote:

>I found this helpfull doc: AVR-Based Fuel Consumption Gauge
>http://www.lightner.net/lightner/bruce/Lightner-183.pdf
>
>Now I want to calculate the consumption of my...
Forum: Technology September 27th 06, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By John_H
Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes, A Historical Question

Roger Blake wrote:
>In article >, John_H wrote:
>> You got the Slant Six and we got the Hemi. We also got our first disc
>> brakes on a locally built car...
Forum: Technology September 26th 06, 07:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech

phaeton wrote:

>Or is this another thing where the rest of the world had 4-wheel disc
>brakes since the 1950s, but Detroit refused to 'progress'?

Yep, another clear case of Detroit never thought...
Forum: Technology September 15th 06, 10:38 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 30
Posted By John_H
Oil filter - what size particles??

wrote:

>What is the typical particle size that an oil filter filters out?? I
>am looking at filtration better than 25 micron.

They don't work quite like that. Reputable...
Forum: Technology July 6th 06, 11:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By John_H
The best oil change shop I ever seen

loron wrote:

>Wow! What a service. That is the best I ever had. I was shocked since all
>the technician are female. They are highly qualified and trained. To make
>the experience even more pleasing...
Showing results 1 to 12 of 12