Showing results 1 to 25 of 48
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Arlen G. Holder
Forum: Technology June 26th 19, 07:19 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
Does the macadem road surface have a great effect on tire wear?

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 17:23:21 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

> Looks like pretty decent ASPHALT to me.
> Definitely not "Macadam" - or tar and chip.

Hi Clare,
Thanks for suggesting that where I always...

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 18:36:11 -0400, Frank wrote:

> Macadam is a little rougher than asphalt and more abrasive surface will
> give more wear but stuff I read did not quantified amount of...
Forum: Technology June 25th 19, 09:28 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 14:38:43 -0400, micky wrote:

> The one of the right front corner shows that you need a wheel alignment.

It's my fault for showing the tires, where all I wanted to show was...
Forum: Technology June 25th 19, 09:28 PM Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.freeware,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
How would you run a lateral acceleration test in a vehicle on twisty roads at no more than 40mph?

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 14:31:49 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> I thought that one would stump you. ;-)

It did.

> The clue is in the wording - *with respect to the force vectors*.

It's hard to figure out where...
Forum: Technology June 25th 19, 06:28 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
Does the macadem road surface have a great effect on tire wear?

Does the macadam road surface have a great effect on tire wear?
<https://i.postimg.cc/KYXHVC3n/mount32.jpg>

In a previous thread, we discussed tire wear on downhill slow speed (less
nominally around...
Forum: Technology June 24th 19, 11:03 PM Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.freeware,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 18:31:52 -0000 (UTC), Arlen G. Holder wrote:

> I appreciate the time, effort, and care for accuracy, as very few people
> would understand my common statement that the main...
Forum: Technology June 24th 19, 07:31 PM Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.freeware,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:44:03 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> Sorry about the delay in this response; I have been giving the issue
> lots of thought. Far more thought than I have ever previously been
Forum: Technology June 22nd 19, 11:45 PM Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.freeware,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 22:03:18 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> It isn't described well at all. In most cases it is simply inferred. I
> think that's because everyone focuses on the *outside* wheel whereas the...
Forum: Technology June 22nd 19, 01:40 AM Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.freeware,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 08:46:20 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> https://www.academia.edu/people/search?utf8=✓&q=fundamentals+of+vehicle+dynamics
>
> The above link should get you to this book;
>
> Thomas D....
Forum: Technology June 21st 19, 07:56 PM Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.freeware,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
How would you run a lateral acceleration test in a vehicle on twisty roads at no more than 40mph?

How would you run a lateral acceleration test in a vehicle at slow speeds
from 20mph to 30mph on twisty roads and at no more than 40mph?

The issue is discussed in this repair thread:
o Clare - are...
Forum: Technology June 16th 19, 09:41 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
Clare - are smaller car tires easier to balance than SUV tires?

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 20:40:34 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> It does indeed! Same kind of feathering I'm getting on my Toyota's front
> tyres - a feathering that you can easily feel in the early stages as you...
Forum: Technology June 16th 19, 07:31 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 14:14:27 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> You won't. Information on it is scarce since it is an undesired effect.
> However, if you look at what the wheel is doing vis a vis camber during...
Forum: Technology June 14th 19, 05:55 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 12:58:31 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> Use the term Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) as your vehicle likely does
> not have kingpins.

Hi Xeno,
I typed up a super detailed response,...
Forum: Technology June 13th 19, 09:28 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:11:14 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> You can check the camber all you like but the answer is more likely in
> the SAI angles and you will be able to do SFA about that.

Hi Xeno,...
Forum: Technology June 13th 19, 05:32 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 21:37:49 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

> Yes and no. The smaller tire has less total mass so a small amount
> of weight has more effect than it would on a bigger tire - but it...
Forum: Technology June 1st 19, 05:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.cad.autocad,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
What 3D CAD freeware might work well for this simple DXF style drawing?

On Fri, 31 May 2019 18:00:21 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

> Fusion 360
> https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators
>
> Works well, if you are a student or educator (very...
Forum: Technology May 31st 19, 09:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,alt.cad.autocad,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
What 3D CAD freeware might work well for this simple DXF style drawing?

Do you have experience with 3D CAD freeware on Windows to help advise me?
o What 3D CAD freeware might work well for a simple DXF style drawing?
<https://i.postimg.cc/fTGxCP62/camber01.jpg>

The...
Forum: Technology May 30th 19, 09:30 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
Ideas for a home alignment caster/camber wheel jig to lock to 14inch to 20 inch wheel rims

Asking for ideas from those who craft tools at home out of stock metal.
o Who don't just put a magnetic camber gauge on the rim or rotor

With a handful of vehicles coming due for routine caster,...
Forum: Technology May 22nd 19, 10:39 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
Replies: 17
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
Google keeps a log of all your electronic parts, brakes, tools, and automotive tires digital receipts emailed to your GMail account.

On Wed, 22 May 2019 06:49:26 -0000 (UTC), Arlen G. Holder wrote:

> If you have data to share to improve the quick summary above, or, if you
> know of _other_ free gmail service replacements, please...
Forum: Technology May 22nd 19, 07:49 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,comp.internet.services.google
Replies: 17
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
Google keeps a log of all your electronic parts, brakes, tools, and automotive tires digital receipts emailed to your GMail account.

Thanks to purposefully helpful suggestions by rbowman & Clare Snyder in
this thread, we have five potential replacement free mail services to
consider.

Moving the on-topic potluck forward, I add...
Forum: Technology May 18th 19, 03:08 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Arlen G. Holder
Two simple questions that came up when mounting tires at home

On Fri, 17 May 2019 18:33:44 -0600, rbowman wrote:

> I realize that there are criteria that result in different designs but
> the engineer in me is offended when the main criteria seems to being
Forum: Technology May 18th 19, 02:45 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 17 May 2019 14:34:20 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

> BTW, how can one not like one of those jobs if
> they haven't done them?

There are people who like to learn and there are people who...
Forum: Technology May 17th 19, 06:00 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 17 May 2019 06:49:21 -0600, rbowman wrote:

> The last one I took apart was a Harbor Freight dual head that had a few
> more pieces. It wasn't curiosity I was trying to get it to work. The...
Forum: Technology May 17th 19, 06:09 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Thu, 16 May 2019 23:11:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The slot is just like a slot in the head of a screw. It is used for
> assembly, disassembly

Thanks Ed,

Interestingly, there was no steel...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 48