Old May 29th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_6_]

Default Card code lost!!!

Thanks Garth,
Now I know. So, is this just a UK thing or is it on all of them these days?

"Garth Almgren" > wrote in message
Around 5/28/2008 12:17 PM, Kate wrote:

> I'm completely ignorant here, WHY do you need a car code to use the radio?

It would be more accurately called a lock code. Basically, the factory
radio locks itself if it thinks it has been stolen (read: battery
disconnected for too long) and without entering the right unlock code,
the radio is unusable. On some makes, entering an incorrect code too
many times can PERMANENTLY lock the radio, rendering it an expensive
paperweight.

The dealer usually gives you the unlock code when you buy the vehicle
new, but when buying a used car it's a crap shoot.

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5