Old February 13th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Radio automatic turnoff: nothing can go wrong go wrong go wrong

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> I think I found a bug^undocumented feature of wildcard utility...
>
> Current-ish model 4-door Impala (2007, I think, though conceivably an
> '08) in our motor pool. When you turn the ignition switch off and
> close the door, the radio goes off. So far so good.
>
> Then you realize you need to log the mileage. You go back into the
> car through the *passenger* side (since it's easier to get at in this
> parking space), turn the key to activate the electronic odometer, turn
> off the switch, withdraw the key, lock the locks, leave.
>
> Some minutes later you go back to the car and discover that the radio
> is still on! Yep, the computer is only smart enough to offer a
> radio auto-offer via the dome light switch in the driver's side
> door. Go in through the passenger side and you could end up
> serenading the spiders under the trunk lid all night, or until the
> battery went dead, whichever came first...
>
> This is repeatable. Shifter's in Park, key is off and out, radio's
> playing. (Also determined that any transition of the driver's-side
> door when the key is out will shut down the radio.)
>
> Not sure whether this is a design oversight or just part of the
> groundwork for the upcoming robot insurrection,
> --Joe

GM just doesn't sweat the details. There's lots of niggling little
things to hate about the Impala, not the least of which are the doors
that you can't push fully open from a seated position but love to swing
shut on you while you're halfway out of the car, and the parking brake
that goes out of adjustment between oil changes.

NB: my experiences are with an '05, maybe the reskin changed some of
these issues. But I'm still hoping for a different car next time around
(only 8500 more miles! I can't wait!)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.