Old June 19th 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default Using Vaseline on Battery Terminals

On Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 3:21:30 PM UTC-10, Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 23:36:07 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>
> > "Ulysses" > wrote in
> > :

> >> While I basically agree with this statement I always put it on before
> >> connecting the cable

> > I do this too. But then my cable connectors are aluminum, and have little
> > barbs that bite into the battery post when they're tightened. Old-style
> > lead clamps that are smooth on the inside may not provide enough "bite" to
> > get through the grease film.
> >
> > However, since the posts are tapered, it's possible the bottom of the lead
> > clamp is wedged on firmly enough to make proper contact in spite of the
> > grease.
> >

> >> because I have lots of problems with corrosion

> > Then your post-to-case seal is broken. This is usually due to some sort of
> > mishandling or overtightening.

> Like beating on it to make the car start?
>
> > Treat your battery with kindness and care, and ye shalt remain corrosion-
> > free, forevermore.

Beating on a battery terminal can allow a car to start - if the problem is a poor terminal connection. I used to start my Ford Taurus by opening up the hood and whacking on the box that housed the relays. They were all in a single sealed box that didn't allow access to the relays. It one of the greatest idea Ford ever came up with! The fuel pump relay was kind of flakey. Sometimes you just got to kick car ass.