Old August 14th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default stripped oil strainer stud

On my 36 hp, stripped a stud on my oil strainer only to find out it
was a 8mm x 6mm step stud. Looking at the 8mm timesaver insert, just
doesn't seem to leave enough material between the edge of the insert
and the lip of the oil strainer lip. I'd rather NOT use the timesaver
fearing that it could mess up my case (just leave it too weak due to
the lack of material). Anybody run into this problem and offer a
decent/reasonable solution beyond using a longer step stud with a lock
washer? Thanks. - Darren