Old January 14th 05, 02:23 PM

Default 94 Grand Cherokee with ABS, can I bleed the brakes myself?

I have a 94 Grand Cherokee and I think it has a problem with the
master cylinder. I changed the brake shoes on the rear this weekend and
the front was done last year but I have excessive brake pedal when I
apply the brakes. They do not drift down when I apply them, but they
travel further down than I would like and if I let go and press again I
have full pressure on the brakes like normal. Someone said either I
need to bleed the brakes or the master cylinder is at fault. If it is
the master cylinder, I can replace it but since it has ABS brakes I was
told I cannot bleed the brakes without the DRB II scanner mentioned in
my manual. The manual says to bleed as normal, then use the DRB II
scanner tool, then bleed again as normal. Is there a way I can bleed
the brakes without this tool, someone said I could just start the car
and let it idle so the ABS can cycle on and then bleed as normal, can
this be done?
Thanks,
Mike Francis