Old July 19th 15, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default The last straw

On 7/19/2015 1:55 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message

>> What computer to scan codes??? t's a OBD1 system and DOES NOT retain codes.

> If you want a device to tell you codes, whether "retained" or otherwise
> then you are relying on a computer to troubleshoot for you rather than
> doing it yourself.

And if the system requires a scanning device that doesn't matter to you
apparently. I should be able to determine what is going on in a
programmed system with just looking at a dvom.

What did you say you do for a living?

>> If you truly knew the old Renix F.I. system you would know that as well as I
>> do and as mentioned the correct test ing equipment is very rare and
>> expensive today.

> Why are you so hung up on "correct test equipment"? Figure out what's
> preventing your engine from running, then figure out from that what the
> engine control system is doing that is making that happen.

And for the Renix MFI that REQUIRES the correct scanner.

>>> Yeah, the idea I get is that you seem awful short of tools for someone
>>> claiming to be a trained mechanic. Harbor Freight will sell you a
>>> multimeter with tach for 35 bucks and a fuel pressure tester for 20
>>> bucks. I find it strange that an experienced mechanic would shotgun the
>>> problem to the tune of 1500 bucks without spending a hundred or so on
>>> the tools to do a proper diagnosis.

>> And I find it strange that you cannot seem to grasp the concept that I just
>> might not, on my limited and fixed income, be able to afford to keep the
>> $7000 dollars (1960's value ... about $75000 in today's dollars) worth of
>> tools I had at one time (had to hock most in the divorce in '73) nor run
>> down to the nearest Harbor Freight (well known for low quality tools, btw)
>> 40 miles away in my XJ that isn't dependable enough to trust outside of the
>> city limits and neither H.F. nor Wally World carries the Renix system test
>> equipment for $19.95 (special today only!!!).

> A "low quality" tachometer should still be as accurate as the one in the
> instrument panel on which you seem to be relying for diagnostic
> purposes. And you don't have to "run" anywhere. They'll deliver it
> right to your door. Or you can get one off of Amazon.

Again, you have no concept of living on a fixed income and that shipping
costs are often higher than purchase prices or the cost of the trip to
drive somewhere.

You have to have a "low quality" tach to hook one up, don't you think???

> And you're still stuck on those damned codes. FORGET THE DAMNED CODES.
> Figure out what's happening in the engine that prevent is from running.
> You act like some young kid who's helpless without a computer.

And you are acting like a total ass.

> And you hocked your tools in '73? That was more than 40 years ago.
> What, you couldn't get another decent job in all that time?

Again, you're being an ass. After the EPA took over the auto industry,
shops wouldn't hire mechanics without certification and I was too busy
trying to care for a family to be gone to a tech school not that there
were many in the 70's.

>>> Where? Google can't find it either in the main search or in Groups.

>> What newsreader are you using?? I use either Outlook Express on the XP PC
>> (this one) or Mozilla Thunderbird on my Win7 PC and all I have to do is
>> download more than, let's say, 300 articles to get the old threads.

> What difference does the newsreader make? It's the server that carries
> the threads and mine doesn't have one called "89 ExtremeJunker or
> anything of a like or similar nature, nor does Google's.

Try searching for my email address instead with the newsreader.

The "Extremejunker" was a joke and you took it literally ... 89 XJ, 89
Cherokee should be good keywords just look for posts from the email
address at the top of this post, which is a real email address.

>> But I belive the pertinent articles are no more than 3-4 months back.

>>> So which is it, is it an OBD1 system or is it a Renix system? And when
>>> you say "the whole blasted system" do you mean that there is no signal
>>> on _any_ of the engine control wiring?

>> Renix used the "no retained codes" OBD1 type programming.
>>
>> And I mean the whole darn system sucks from the first computerized engine
>> management systms to todays crap.

> Fine, it sucks. Unless by "sucks" you mean that it has vacuum where
> pressure needs to be, saying "it sucks" is not going to get your engine
> running.

And you're no help either.

>> But, based on the responses you've given me, I'd say you are probably an
>> advocated for modern engine control systems and consider anything prior to
>> be not worth consideration even though it was far more "user friendly" and
>> dependable.

> I'm an advocate for 68 year old retired professional mechanics actually
> doing some mechanicking instead of complaining.

Really??? If you were a physician I'd tell you your bedside manner is
atrocious.

BTW, I never claimed to a "professional" just trained and experienced.

OTOH, YOU asked about a "qualified" mechanic, not a professional.

What did you mean by "qualified"? A diploma mill "graduate"?

I ain't one.

> I shouldn't need to ask questions like this of someone who claims your
> experience, but when it stops running, does it have spark, yes or no?
> Does it have fuel, yes or no? Are the injectors injecting, yes or no?

And you really think I haven't checked that? Spark:yes, fuel:yes,
injection:yes but that is while I'm cranking it, not while it's cutting
out because I cannot check those while running easily.

Oh, and fuel pressu on a carbureted engine we looked for a certain
volume in so many seconds into a glass container but with the Renix,
depressing the Shrader valve on the fuel rail 30 minutes after shutting
the engine down causes a fine spray 2 feet long past the driver's side
fender (to prevent fires from the hot exhaust hear right under it).

According to other Renix owners that would appear to be 30 psi or more.

Operating pressure is 31-39 psi.

> You complain about a "fixed income" but you have plenty of money to blow
> on parts to try to shotgun the problem, more than you would spend on a
> few tools to actually diagnose it.

You don't retain what you've read, do you? The scanner, as I repeat
myself again, for Renix MFI systems, when I last checked 4 years ago,
was not available readily and that the cost was around $1500 US and only
reads codes while the engine is running.

The money I've spent is the total since January of this year, and not a
one lump sum.

Budd

---