Old July 20th 15, 10:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke[_5_]

Default The last straw

In article >,
says...

> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> > says...
> >
> > Look, go be miserable if you want to. You're the one who said you
> > couldn't use a multimeter and a tach at the same time. When I tell you
> > where to get a tach for a reasonable price you start whining about
> > "Renix scanner".
> >
> > If it had a carburetor what would you be whining about?
> >

> YOU say that I'm miserable ... Gee ... I don't.
>
> Rather, I'm ticked off at an organization, the EPA, that liberals have given
> law-making authority to that is not a part of the legislative body of the US
> government, Congress, and doesn't even have a true automotive engineer on
> staff yet has decided they know all there is to know about how an internal
> combustion process works.
>
> But you've probably swallowed their propaganda hook, line and sinker and
> washed it down with a liberal amount of their kool-aid.

Oh, booh hooh.

> As for handling two items ... ok, smart guy, tell me how you would operate a
> DVOM while holding an el cheapo tach and controlling the throttle whilst
> keeping all the test leads away from rapidly (2000+ rpms) rotating
> assemblies and you are not allowed to ask for help.

By setting both in a secure place where I could see them and routing the
leads away from the front of the engine. Geez, I thought you were an
_experienced_ mechanic. If this is _difficult_ for you I begin to
understand why you couldn't get a mechanicking job.

> And you conveniently forget that I am broke when it comes to your "suggested
> purchases".
>
> Maybe you should buy them for me if you think it's that darn important.

Maybe if you hadn't spent all that money on parts you didn't need that
didn't fix the problem and had either paid it to a real mechanic or
gotten the right tools for the job up front then you wouldn't be broke.

> You know nothing of carbureted fuel systems or you wouldn't have made that
> comment.

You didn't answer the question. If it had a carburetor then how would
you diagnose it?

> The same symptoms on a carbureted engine could be caused by: Faulty ignition
> system (did tune-up and replaced ignition coil and ICM)

In other words you shotgunned it instead of finding out what was broken
first.

> ; contaminated or
> lack of fuel (checked for foriegn materials like rust or water. replaced
> pump and filter, cleaned injectors manually);

In other words you shotgunned it instead of figuring out what was broken
first.

> dirty carburetor passages or
> low float settings (cleaned throttle body, replaced IAC, and got sprayed by
> fuel from the schrader valve because I wasn't expecting any pressure after
> the engine had been turned off for 30 minutes and my arm is a bit over 24"
> long).

In other words you shotgunned it instead of finding out what was broken
first,.

> Carbed engines don't have ECM's so that doesn't enter into that diagnosis
> but since the unit I pulled out had a physically damaged electrolytic
> capacitor (swollen case) I decided to replace it to see if it was the
> problem.

I would have replaced the capacitor, not the unit, but that would have
required you to spend 25 bucks for a soldering iron instead of whatever
you paid for a new ECU, but that's me. Still, other than that you had
no indication that the ECU was the problem, so again you shotgunned it
instead of finding out what was broken and fixing it.

> As for the Renix scanning tool, there are things in this Universe you cannot
> check or do without the proper tool ... like playing pool with a quart jar
> of nitroglycerine.

So what specific thing do you want to check for?

> Miserable??? If I were miserable I wouldn't remain sarcastic with you ...
> I'd just ignore you.
>
> And with my Irish/Scottish/Cherokee ancestry, the time to worry is when I
> get quiet. . . . . . . .

Threats from an old man who admits he doesn't have the means to drive
across town. I'm sooooooo scared.

However it's clear that your problem is not your Jeep, so gday.