Old June 27th 05, 04:31 AM
Bill G

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey everyone,
>
> First of all, sorry for the cross posting but I believe it's relevant
> in all groups posted to. I have a 91 nissan maxima GXE with 190k, V6,
> 5sp. This car has driven great until 2 days ago. All of a sudden
> (literally overnight)it developed a miss that is noticeable throughout
> the entire RPM range. Car ran great Friday and then Saturday when I
> started it, the miss was noticeable. The idle is down to about 600 vs
> 800 it was before and power is down. I checked the plugs, wires, cap
> and rotor and they all look good. They are about 2 years old with
> roughly 15k on them. The miss seems worse when the engine is cold. I
> can't see any wires arcing and have verified that there is spark at
> every wire using a timing light. The check engine light is not lit.
> The car shakes mildly at idle and has kind of a pfft pfft sound at the
> exhaust pipe. Anyone have any ideas on what else to check? I am at a
> loss and need to get her running right again asap.

How old is the fuel filter? Replace it if it's old. Since you have spark
at each plug, the other necessities are fuel and air. Check the air filter,
and then check the injectors.

You can use a piece of rubber hose to listen to each cylinder as the engine
runs, and each injector should make a "pfft pfft" sound. Another test is to
unplug each injector (engine off) and put an ohm meter across the two leads.
I don't know what it should read, but they should all be the same. If one
is wildly different, it's probably bad. But, you should have a Check Engine
light if one of the injectors has failed. You could also unplug each
injector and see if the car's performance changes. If one is bad, and you
pull another cable, you'll probably stall the car.

Bill G
'91 SE Auto