Old June 8th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren[_2_]

Default Gas mileage

Around 6/7/2008 9:39 PM, motorhead wrote:

> Thanks for your responses...
> I think I didn't make myself clear. My Cherokee has the 4.0 liter 6cyl.
> I was hopeing a 4cyl Wrangler got better mileage so I would have a
> good excuse to get me one. You would think it would? Maybe cause it
> takes more power to run? The 4 cyl has to work harder than the 6 would?
> Still doesn't seam right . What is the purpose of making a 4 cyl then?
> ..Oh, yeah, money....

Honestly, I don't know why every Wrangler didn't come with the 4.0L.
Wranglers are aerodynamic bricks, and from what I've read here the 4.0
often gets *better* mileage than the 2.5 because it doesn't have to work
as hard pushing it through the air at interstate speeds.

On mine, I have to downshift out of 5th for even slight hills on the
interstate. It's less of a problem since I installed a 4.0 throttle
body, and I did see a slight 1-2 MPG increase, but it's still no 4.0.

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5