Old March 7th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 2000 Grand Cherokee - New computer - P1685

On Mar 6, 9:37 pm, "DougW" > wrote:
> michael.haskins wrote:

> >> Not 100% on this. I believe it takes the dealership programmer to
> >> reset the SKIM code.

> > That sucks. The closest dealer (by far) to me wanted to charge $1200
> > to replace the ECM in the first place which is why I went to a salvage
> > yard. I wonder if they'll still try to charge me the full amount if I
> > have my car towed in.

> From what I read, you should get a
> P0513 Invalid SKIM Key
> or
> P0633 SKIM Key Not Programmed
>
> Sure you have every wire hooked back up with no bent pins?
>
> If there was no feed you would get
> P1686 No SKIM BUS Messages Received
>
> Be Careful.. start it with the wrong key six times
> and it will require a trip to the dealer.
>
> I wonder if you have a simple steel key (no skim)
> AKA, a Valet key, you should be able to get to the dealer.
> (I would call to confirm this)
>
> This might help.
> -----------
> 801505 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE INITIALIZATION
>
> Date: 03/02/05
>
> Model Year(s): 1999-2004

> be equipped (optional) with Sentry Key Theft Deterrent
> System (sales code GXX) for this bulletin to apply. When a
> Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is replaced on vehicles
> equipped with the Sentry KeyT Theft Deterrent System, it
> must be initialized to properly function with the anti-theft
> module. This is accomplished at a Chrysler Group Dealer by
> using the DRBIIIŽ or StarSCANT Scan Tool to enter a PIN number.
>
> When the PIN number is not available from the vehicle owner
> or a Chrysler Group Scan Tool(s) is not available this can
> be accomplished by writing the Vehicle Identification Number
> (VIN) into the PCM using an after-market scan tool with a
> "VIN Write Function". More information is available from
> the scan tool manufacturer or the Equipment & Tool Institute.
>
> NOTE: After performing this procedure with an after-market
> scan tool on vehicles equipped with Chrysler Group's Next
> Generation Controller (NGC), Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
> "P0633 - SKIM SECRET KEY DATA NOT STORED IN PCM" will be set.
> This DTC will not effect vehicle or system performance and
> cannot be erased.
>
> --
> DougW- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, It's hooked up correctly. It would start, rev once, then
stall. Yes, I'm sure I have the SKIM key, as last year we lost it for
a few days and were going to have to fork out $300 to the dealer to
have it replaced.

I put the old PCM back in, and I'll take the new one to the dealer
tomorrow to see if I can get it reprogrammed wihtout being raped by
them. On second thought, I might go to the Jeep dealer in the rough
part of town. The one closest to me is in a ritzy area and they seem
to specialize in the old rip off.

I really hate the fact that I can't do this myself.

Thanks for the replys.