Old March 7th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Default 2000 Grand Cherokee - New computer - P1685

"Ingram Developers" > wrote in message
s.com...
> On Mar 7, 7:58 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> Neither.
>>
>> I would recommend you put the computer back in and change the broken
>> ignition switch.
>>
>> The fact you can remove the key without shutting down the engine just
>> 'screams' broken or loose ignition switch. The stalls also...
>>
>> You also might want to look 'real' close at that 'V6' engine....
>>
>> Mike
>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
>> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>>

>> wrote:
>> > I have been having issues with my 2000 Grand Cherokee V6 that several
>> > shops advised would be replaced by installing a new computer. I was
>> > having sporadic cylinder misfires, odd stalls, and a weird one where
>> > would turn the key to the off position and remove the key and the
>> > jeep
>> > would keep running.

>> > Anyways, I bought a new computer from a salvage yard and just
>> > finished
>> > installing it. THe Jeep starts up great, but then dies out with a
>> > P1685 error. I know that that means SKIM error and that obviously
>> > the
>> > new computer doesn't recognize the key I use.

>> > The question I have now is, what next? Do I have to take it to the
>> > Jeep dealer to have the computer programmed? Or can I take it to my
>> > local guy that I trust?

>> > Any help is much appreiciated.

>> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

> Here are a list of my current symptoms:
> (They only present about 30-40% of the time that I am driving)
>
> 1. Occasional stalls during slow sharp turns or reverse
> 2. Rough ride, with RPMs jumping all over the place
> 3. Codes for cylindar misfires
> 4. When I hit 70 mph exactly, car goes in to freewheel until it gets
> below around 67 mph
>

> This has been going on since Thanksgiving. I have had the following
> work done so far:
> 1. New crankshaft sensor
> 2. Throttle body clean
> 3. New spark plugs/coils
> 4. Engine reflash
>
> The ECM I got was only $100 bucks, so I figured I'd give it a try.
> The techs at all the places I have been to say that it isn't the
> ignition switch, but I will ask again when I go in tomorrow to get my
> ECM reprogrammed.

Are the symptoms related to how much gas you have in the tank? eg. works
better with a full tank, stalls with an almost empty tank.
It might be a defective the fuel pump, causing low fuel pressure to the
injectors.

Bill.