Old October 19th 04, 05:39 PM
Bob Shuman

Richard,

Your EGR valve is plugged and will act up again. I was able to easily
remove my son's EGR on his '96 SL1 (remove the air cleaner intake, remove an
electrical connector, and two bolts) and see the incredible amount of
coke/soot that had developed over the years.

The part is easily cleanable. I used a long thing flat blade screwdriver to
chip it off the sides of the valve body. I then used a small wire brush and
dremmel tool to clean it and polish the sides once they were clean. After
it was cleaned out, the valve no longer stuck when moved manually.

That was a year ago. Total cost of the fix was about $3 for the new EGR
gasket.

YMMV. Good luck!

Bob

PS Worst case you can buy the part and put it in yourself if you have a
metric socket set. It should take about 15-30 minutes tops.

"Richard" > wrote in message
> 98 SL Manual 112K : The Service Engine Soon light came on Friday 10/16. I
> brought it to Precision Tune on Saturday 10/17 to find out the code. It

ran
> $20 with a coupon (regular $54).
>
> They said it was the EGR valve and would be $135 for the part, $85 for
> labor. I scheduled an appointment to have it done next Saturday.
>
> QUESTION:
> I have been driving for three days since and the light has not come back

on.