Old February 2nd 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

Default OT - So Michael...

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
> dwight wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>>> You have a point. It took the Democrats running the proverbial car over
>>> a cliff with Jimmie Carter to pave the way for Reagan in 1980. Carter
>>> makes George Bush look like Thomas Jefferson.

>> Carter was brilliant. Bush can't form a sentence.

> Carter would have been brilliant if being president was like being an
> engineer on a nuclear submarine. He was one of the worst Presidents this
> country has ever had to endure. Thank God he only had one term. Two terms
> of of his stupidity would have been more than this country could bare.

NU-CLE-AR. At least, he knew how to speak the language.

>> I'm not quite sure how you meant this.

> The original intent was to indicate that letting liberals have enough
> political rope will result in them hanging themselves. The one of the
> most recent examples of this was Jimmie Carter followed by Clinton in his
> first two years in office. I threw in the last sentence as an
> embellishment.

But the same could be said about the two Bush presidencies. "Give 'em enough
rope..." The simple fact is that we've been getting the government we so
obviously deserve. The Democrats have been ineffectual, the Republicans have
been a disgrace.

Just as with any mass marketing, we've ended up yet again with the
candidates who have the broadest appeal. And the people we'd really LIKE to
have as president wouldn't even consider running for the job.

How many times have you cast a vote, not FOR someone, but against the other?

The simple fact is, of course, that no one individual is ever going to
measure up. No one party (and we've really only got two) is ever going to
reflect 100% what we as individuals believe and hold dear. The system by
design will always disappoint.

We make the best choice possible from among a tiny pool of talent and we
send them to Washington to do an impossible job, with half of the population
already dead set against them. Along with a new president, we send in a
Congress that, upon close inspection, seems to have been assembled through
insanity. We elect dead people, outright crooks, frauds, cardboard,
egomaniacs and crazies, and send them off to do the people's business.

And THEN, after this huge set-up, comes the punchline - we, as a nation,
have fallen into two gigantic camps, each loathing the other with a vitriol
that is created wholly out of thin air. We've become a people that loves to
draw lines in the sand - political, racial, religious, sexual - and throw
stones at those on the other side. Because it's easier than thinking.

If we can break all of humanity into two and only two groups -
Republican/Democrat, black/white, Christian/Muslim, gay/straight,
Ford/Chevy - it makes our lives and our hate so much easier. So we choose
the candidate who is closest to our hate, not our hope. Three out of five,
he's got my vote.

Nixon wanted to steal an election. Ford doesn't really count. Carter fell
victim to OPEC and runaway inflation. Reagan was hounded for Iran/Contra.
Bush 41 forgot to keep his eye on the home ground. Clinton got a blow job.
Bush 43 has screwed up in every which way imaginable. It gets worse and
worse.

Now you look at the current crop. Vote for McCain! Because he'd be a great
leader? No, because he's not Hillary. Vote for Obama! Why, because he'd
completely rewrite the rules in Washington? No, because he's not Hillary. Or
McCain.

I'm disgusted.

Maybe it's time for dwight in 2012.

dwight