Thread: New cheap car
View Single Post
Old April 22nd 18, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default New cheap car

On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 7:49:52 PM UTC-5, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
> > I need to shop (southern California) for a <=$4K car for a friend. I believe that I want
> > a Carolla because they're always at the top of reliability lists and NOBODY I know wants
> > to work on a car ever again. So I'm looking at cars in the $3-$4K range with under 150K
> > miles which tend to be 2004-2006 models, generally LEs or CEs.
> >
> > When I was looking for myself I chose a 2013 Corolla S, and I can't for the life of me
> > remember why I decided against CEs, but I'm willing to trust my former judgment.
> >
> > I believe that a newer one is better than an older one, although I have nothing to base
> > that on other than the difference between my Corolla and the POS 1988 Caddy I had before.
> > Is one Corolla pretty much as good as another? The newer ones with side airbags are out
> > of the price range, but is there any other new technology that I should be thinking about?
> >
> > I've set Craigslist alerts for likely cars -- experience (I just started looking today)
> > indicates that any car I was interested in was already sold -- and intend to at least
> > attempt to strike while the iron is hot.
> >
> > Is there anything wrong with my thinking? I used to be confident in my ability to buy an
> > old car, but modern "old" cars are pretty much a mystery except for truly obvious defects
> > (sounds, smells, feel, etc.).

>
> Cant tell you much about Corollas except that the ones I occasionally rent are noisy
> and do 0-60 mph in 12-15 seconds. I always wear ear plugs when driving Corollas.
> They are ergonomic and comfortable though. Seem to be decent little cars.
> OTH, nothing has ever gone wrong with my 2006 Kia Spectra. It is probably
> the best car I have ever had. If I were to buy another used car it would be a Kia.

https://repairpal.com/toyota/corolla
Ads