Old August 13th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_113_]

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

Spike > wrote in
:

@c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

>>> hat

tools
>>> he

>>> the
>>> ng

>>> ng
>>> ies

dreaded

have
>>> er
>>> ..

>>> of

you
>>> ve

noise

>>> Just an update....I picked up the car yesterday from the same

mechanic
>>> who completely accepted to look into the situation after I contacted
>>> him about it.
>>>
>>> The noise was loud enough that I could not drown it with the radio

(I
>>> couldn't have a conversation without having to raise my voice at

these
>>> speeds).
>>>
>>> The mechanic has adjusted a few things and the noise is barely
>>> noticeable (you really have to listen for it) and is in my opinion
>>> "normal" (so far so good).
>>>
>>> Like I said he is a great person and is an avid Mustang fan. He

always
>>> goes above and beyond and this time around proved that once again.
>>>
>>> Thank you for all of your advice. It has helped me understand things

>>> little more and in the end my car is back in my driveway running

well.

>>> Regards,
>>> Marc

>>I gotta ask - why the noise in the first place? If he test-drove it,

he
>>certainly would've heard what you described (the radio wouldn't even
>>drown it out). If he didn't test drive it, then that's another story.

> With mine, the more I drove it the louder and worse it got. Since the
> addition of the posi lube, it's been over a year with zero "noise".
> Sounds like the mechanic might, no matter how great a guy he is, have
> forgotten to add the correct lube, or similar.

My experience has been that if the posi lube isn't added, things are
still fairly "normal" until you make a turn. Then it's more of a
chatter than a whine.

I still think the guy might not have adjusted them properly (not enough
time?), then when he got it back he had to do it right. Guess we'll
never really know...