Old August 13th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_86_]

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

Spike > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:41:18 GMT, Joe > wrote:
>
>>Spike > wrote in
m:

:

> SNIP

it,
>>he

story.

>>> With mine, the more I drove it the louder and worse it got. Since

the
>>> addition of the posi lube, it's been over a year with zero "noise".
>>> Sounds like the mechanic might, no matter how great a guy he is,

have
>>> forgotten to add the correct lube, or similar.

>>My experience has been that if the posi lube isn't added, things are
>>still fairly "normal" until you make a turn. Then it's more of a
>>chatter than a whine.
>>
>>I still think the guy might not have adjusted them properly (not

enough
>>time?), then when he got it back he had to do it right. Guess we'll
>>never really know...

> "Chatter" might be one way to describe it. Long ago and far away,
> there was a toy comprised of a string of squares held together with
> cloth bands. When you flipped the top one over, like dominos, the rest
> turned over with a CLACK CLKACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK!
> Now, that's sorta what it sounded like.

Yeah, I remember something like that but I'll be damned if I know what
it was called. I'm not too far behind you in years...

> You're right, mostly during a
> turn with the left turn being far worse than the right, and when
> backing. Not what anyone, especially the owner wants to hear!

That's for sure. My Dakota has a limited slip, and if I let it go too
long w/o changing the fluid, the friction modifier loses some of its
effectiveness and the rear starts chattering on turns like a bunch of
chipmunks. First time I heard that I freaked, thinking the rear was
exploding. A quick trip to the dealer and a fresh fluid change with new
friction modifier made it as good as new.