Old August 13th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
97tjMike

Default Jeep Wrangler High Idle Problem

On Aug 12, 9:42 pm, Jeff DeWitt > wrote:
> 97tjMike wrote:
> > Hello Everyone:

> > I have a 97 TJ and 95% of the time it idles perfectly. However, about
> > 5% of the time, usually when the vehicle has been run for more than 20
> > minutes or so, the idle in neutral or park will shoot up to between
> > 1200 and 1500 RPM. The only way to get it to stop is to put the
> > vehicle into gear or to restart the car. If I restart it, it will not
> > happen for a while, but it eventually comes back. The TPS was recently
> > replaced, and I just replaced the idle air control valve, thinking
> > this may have been the problem, but it still has the same effect. I'm
> > thinking now that it may be the coolant temperature sensor (something
> > wacky when the engine is hotter making the vehicle run at higher
> > speeds??). Any suggestions? I'm hoping its not my computer...

> Does the check engine light come on? Have you checked to see if there
> are any trouble codes?
>
> Jeff DeWitt

Engine light never came on, however I did check codes and this came up
when I checked a few weeks ago:

42 An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay
circuit. An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit.
An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control
circuit. An open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit.
Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. No
movement of fuel level sender detected.

However, I remember seeing that code a few months before this problem
came up. I reset the codes a few weeks ago, and the other day I
checked and that code hasn't come back.