Old June 10th 16, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default pto drive shaft to winch drive

I'm not familiar with your specific winch, but I've come across other
systems using a similar drive set up.

The design has a purpose: to keep the winch from being overloaded ... a slip
clutch setup, as it were, for your safety.

I would suggest having the bolt hole drilled and tapped to the next larger
thread size in a fine pitch (7/16" S.A.E. fine thread) and use that size
Allen head ( your "inset hex head") or a Grade 8 Aircraft grade bolt.

Do not let anyone sell you a stainless steel bolt as they will gall and
stick in the threaded hole without anti-sieze and that would mean drilling
and tapping out for an even larger bolt.

Hope this healps.

Budd
"zane 79 landcruiser long body"
> wrote in message
roups.com...
>i am having problems with an old koenig 100. the bolt securing the drive
>shaft
> to the winch came off and the small shim which pits into the winch input
> shaft
> was lost (Alan bolt). I made a new shim out of old spring and it fits
> perfectly, however the 3/8 inset hex head bolt is not providing enough
> pressure and the winch still fails under a heavy load. I tried drilling a
> bit
> into that shim and also ground the bolt to fit into the depression and got
> fair pull before the winch again failed. the rotation is starting to score
> the
> input shaft.
> I appreciate any ideas....any one ever just drill through the input shaft
> so
> the securing bolt fully penetrates the drive shaft.? I am amazed with the
> strength of the winch when operating normally and it is crazy that there
> is
> only a pressure hold and not a bolt all the way through the
> shaft....thanks
> for any ideas....
>
> --
> posted from
> http://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/pto-...ve-134992-.htm
> using MotorsForum's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
> rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys and other automotive groups

---