Old April 15th 13, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default will it leak?

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:42:13 -0400, Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>Since I can't afford to get my tcase rebuilt right now, if I took out
>the front driveshaft to stop the tcase from spinning, would all the
>juice leak out of the front pumpkin or the tcase? I can't shift into
>4WD and I believe the chain is so stretched, it's dragging against the
>casing of the tcase.
>
>Any clues? It's a '97 TJ with 96,000 miles and no big mods. Thanks.

No, it shouldn't leak. I have a '99 XJ and I think our drivetrains are
essentially the same. When I had a similar chain dragging problem, I
removed my front driveshaft and I've had no problems whatsoever with
that. I've put about 4000 miles on it since removal, mostly Interstate
driving.

I think my tcase problem is a little more than just a stretched chain
and I haven't been able to find a shop to rebuild it. They've all
told me to go find another tcase and they'll swap it out for me. I
plan to do that but I'm in no rush Been gettin' along just fine so
far in 2wd.
HeBeJeepN
'99 XJ Sport, Selec-Trac, Trac-Lok